Thread: Oil Reservoir restoration

Oil Reservoir restoration

I need advice on restoration of my 1971 911 S oil reservoir. It has several small holes and needs cleaning. Does anyone know of someone who can restore this vital piece ?? Name:  DSC_4738.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  67.1 KBName:  DSC_4739.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  89.9 KB

Sierra Madre Collection (CA) has an exchange/refurbish program. www.sierramadrecollection.com.
    If you want to do it yourself, it needs an acid bath (roughly $100) and you need to find someone that can weld the holes or fix them with epoxy.

Alain

Shift Knob Maker
    I recommend this place, they did a great job on mine. Mine did not need any welding though so I don't know for sure if they will do that.
    http://www.oilcoolers.com/

Mark..

If you send that tank to Pacific Oil Cooler they will ultrasonically clean it, inspect it and then "red tag" it as unserviceable and offer to throw it in their dumpster or return it to you (you pay shipping).

The extent of the pinholes on the top is the problem-- if you fill those with solder and pressure test you will just open up the holes elsewhere.

That rust is caused by dirt from the wheel rotation being thrown on top of the tank. The dirt traps moisture which corrodes the tank over time.

To salvage that tank you need to send it to a metal fabricator who can cut out that section, form a new piece with a shot bag and wheel, and put it back together. Your best bet is a motorcycle tank fabricator. I don't know if "The Metal Surgeon" takes on small projects like this but his skillset would be ideal.

Or you can source a used tank and send that to Pacific Oil Cooler for a refresh, but used tanks are getting more expensive (like everything else in the "asset class" that our hobby has become!)
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by govols! View Post
    I need advice on restoration of my 1971 911 S oil reservoir. It has several small holes and needs cleaning. Does anyone know of someone who can restore this vital piece ?? Name:  DSC_4738.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  67.1 KBName:  DSC_4739.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  89.9 KB
    With the chance of having the new repro at 500 euros....throw it away !

GREAT THREAD!!!

i've been trying to figure out what to do with mine ('68). i've contacted the sources mentioned in the thread and it is now on its way to California for a facelift.

thanks, friends!!!

Thanks for all the advice !! This is what makes this website UNBELIEVABLE !!! George K

+1 for Pacific Oil Cooler, did my 71 tank, came back perfect and reasonably priced

Thanks for everyones help. I contacted Wayne at Oilcoolers.com and he says that it is unrepairable. I happened to buy one on Ebay yesterday and am sending to them for evaluation. Are reproductions available ?? George K

i am not an authority on whether there are repro oil tanks, but stoddard has one (last time i checked it was $1500), and Sierra Madre has an exchange program (which seemed expensive, too). kinda makes pacific look like the best alternative, to me, at least. wayne @ pacific has 2 of mine right now.