Thread: Steering wheel restoration question

Steering wheel restoration question

I have a Hardi wheel, a Torino 3/74. It is wood but looks like it has a coating on it that is coming off. What is it and can it be restores? Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Computer crashed, any replies? Thanks.

that is just the finish - varnish or shellac or something

sand it off being careful to not alter the round diameter of the wheel; refinish it with something (I like a German floor tmt. called Osmo PolyX) or use Tung oil, and it will be all pretty and ready for a surgeon to dig the splinters out of the crash victim's chest...

You can strip with a citrus stripper. Then sand with a progression of less aggressive papers ending at 180 or 220. Use a tack cloth over and over until you are sure there is no residual dust. Then seal using a good wood sealer for stain like Minwax. A good choice to start for stain is Minwax Puritan Pine. Do a test dot on the backside of the wheel then go lighter or darker from there if needed. Or, just seal and Poly. I have used high traffic floor poly in gloss or semi gloss for the finish with great results. It flows well, easily thinned and goes on with a brush yet yields a spray smooth finish. And it is tough.

There are many tricks to patinize the finish. It just depends what you want. A good one is to bleach the wood with a wood specific bleach and just rub in many coats of oil. It gets more and more mellow with age and looks great. Have fun, it is an enjoyable project.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

IIRC, a sealer is used for soft woods not hardwoods. I'd avoid the low end of the stain market (MinWax) and find a shop in your town where the cabinetmakers go, then buy there.

A big yes on the tack cloth.

Thanks for all the replies. We shall see.

Minwax actually works well on a steering wheel and the Puritan Pine was recommended by John Paterek and is a direct match for original Nardis. It is to my eyes. The VDM uses mahogany. A combination of hard and soft. Luon and African etc. The Luon is soft. I do not know what is on your wheel but if you like that dark look that is on it now, I would use PP. I have restored many original Nardis, flat and dished as well as original VDM GTs for Rennwagen with good results using the above. Too many steering wheels are over restored keep it simple you'll be happy.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club