Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiring Harness R & R

Wiring Harness R & R

Getting ready to remove & replace a burned- up harness with a new one. Any suggestions / guidance on this? Any and all comments on this subject welcome.....especially regarding pulling old out & inserting the new one!..... actually a 912 if there is any real differences .....cliff
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Cliff,

Make sure you pull from the harness through from the front of the car at the tunnel, pulling forward. The harness will not fit going the other direction. A wrap of tinfoil and then painters tape on the portion that will be navigating the tunnel has worked for me.

Best regards,

Brad
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

If it's burnt, I'd just cut it down by the pedal cluster and pull it out....

When installing the new one, I usually shrink wrap or tape it to make it as small and 'pointy' as possible...then push in from the back...

Make sense?
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

I'd cut it only if it has no more use....but if you are going to repair it, or make a new one, it may serve as a 'template', so maybe better to keep intact. either way, as mentioned it goes out all the way through to the front luggage compartment.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

It was burned in the engine bay only. I have cut it about 2 foot or so beyond the tunnel.So, I would pull the old one out pulling toward the front of the car and install the new unit from the back going forward?

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

It goes in and out of the car from the torsion tube area. DO NOT try to feed it back to front or front to back. Start in the middle and pull/push the front half of the harness up into place, then lay the rear half into place. Coming out, you reverse the process ... NO CONNECTORS OR WIRE ENDS SHOULD EVER HAVE TO BE CUT OFF A GOOD HARNESS FOR INSTALLATION OR REMOVAL.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Thank you everyone...any other observations welcome of course....cliff

—Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

Geez guys...I said if it's burnt...like melted, just cut it.

Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Six, inc. View Post
    Geez guys...I said if it's burnt...like melted, just cut it.

I know I know. Read my words carefully...I said GOOD harness.

I just felt it needed to be stated that a good harbess should never be cut for installation/removal. We bought a car once that had the harbess removed incorrectly, and finding a replacement 72 harness was not easy...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Love you Marco...
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook