Thread: 245mm instead of a 225mm ?

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar

245mm instead of a 225mm ?

All,

As you may know am rebuilding my 3.0 SC 1978 engine. (I won't touch the electrical I promise )

It is a 225mm engine fan with the associated housing and engine shroud. The 225mm fan is in very bad condition therefore needs replacement, quite tough to find one, and expensive too.

Before ordering anything, would like to know if the 245mm engine + 245 mm fan housing will fit the original/in place 3.0SC 1978 engine shroud ?

Look forward to your response.

Cheers
    Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Pretty sure the shroud was the same, the smaller fan housing was made with the same lip diameter as the larger housing.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Xavier,

There are two 930 225 mm complete refurbished fan housings offered on the German eBay, they ask 1000€ for each one. Guess that is expensive!

Kind regards,

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by RSexS View Post
    Xavier,

There are two 930 225 mm complete refurbished fan housings offered on the German eBay, they ask 1000€ for each one. Guess that is expensive!

Kind regards,

Cees
    Cheers Cees.
    I have already in hands the 245 mm fan and the 225 mm housing...I guess I would either buy the 245 mm housing or the 225 mm fan ��
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    In the USA the 1980 SC moved to the 245mm fan and housing. every thing fits, no mods necessary except larger alternator required deep recess in alt mounting, started in 75-76? Early 245mm fan housing like 70/74, alternator won't fit properly. Gordon

Xavier,

You say that you have the 225 housing and a 245 fan.

If I were you, I would check the 245 fan against the bad 225. If the hub an pulley are the same, you could probably find a shop willing to turn down the 245 fan into a 225 fan.
    Just chose a competent one to perform this, as this kind of machining is a bit risky for both the machinist and the fan. Wouldn't cost more than a couple of 100's, maybe even a couple of good bottles if the shop owner is a friend...
    If you don't know where to send your fan, let me know I have an address. Southern France, but I am sure my buddy would be up to the task.

Olivier.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
    Xavier,

You say that you have the 225 housing and a 245 fan.

If I were you, I would check the 245 fan against the bad 225. If the hub an pulley are the same, you could probably find a shop willing to turn down the 245 fan into a 225 fan.
    Just chose a competent one to perform this, as this kind of machining is a bit risky for both the machinist and the fan. Wouldn't cost more than a couple of 100's, maybe even a couple of good bottles if the shop owner is a friend...
    If you don't know where to send your fan, let me know I have an address. Southern France, but I am sure my buddy would be up to the task.

Olivier.
    This is right Olivier.
    Could not think it would be possible. I'll ask around and get back to you if no joy.

Cheers
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Had numerous confirmation tat it works. as I had the 245mm fan, I found a 245mm housing in very good condition. Thanks to all for your tips.

Cheers
    Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407