Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 60's Super Stock & Factory Experimental

60's Super Stock & Factory Experimental

The proverbial Motherlode of period photos, all on a single page. GM, Chrysler, Ford - they're all there:

Click here: George Klass Super Stock

Nickey 2.jpg
    DickBrannan-brannan08.jpg
    tumblr_ml017x1Yrf1qcdxvpo1_1280.jpg

Thumbs up

Thanks Curt.......... Brought tears to my eyes....

I saw most of'm that came out to Lions and San Fernando from '61 through about '67

I even had a few in the 'neighborhood'... Landy's shop, this shop, was less than 3 miles from home.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks for sharing this link Curt. Brought back lot's of memories of Sunday's spent playing with Hot Wheels in the back of my dad's 57 Nomad at Dover Dragstrip in NY in the 60's while he raced his 64 Corvette fuelly coupe. Fun times!!!

Ps. My dad still has his 64 Vette- with 24,000 miles and original paint. Most of the mileage a 1/4 mile at a time
    Scott

Early S Reg. #1694/R-Gruppe #638

74 Carrera

Ps. My dad still has his 64 Vette- with 24,000 miles and original paint. Most of the mileage a 1/4 mile at a time
    How cool is THAT!!!!!!!!! ......
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Boy, that page brought back some memories. Pretty cool being able to check out the Dick Landy garage Chuck. I was always rooting for his Detroit based competitors from that era.....Hodges Dodges Ramchargers and Color Me Gone. I used to walk past the garage where the cars below were built, on my way to school. It was in a quiet residential neighborhood and owned by a GM engineer. It was a very low key GM funded skunk works operation, every week a GM truck would show up with new engines and take away the ones used the previous weekend.

The recently restored SS396 is the same National championship car that's on the truck in the '68 photo.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Hanging out at the dragstrip. It just didn't get a lot better than that, did it?

Jim, I knew you would root out those Reed Draper cars. How cool, eh?

Scott - you and/or your Dad must have pics laying around somewhere??????? Would LOVE to see some.

Also, the same guy has pages for dragsters, gassers, etc. - although I was always most interested in Super Stock and the original Pro Stock cars (before they turned into quasi funny cars). http://www.georgeklass.net/

Thumbs up

I go to this guy's 'gasser' link and I see a bunch of photos that really hit home.......

A few in particular of local hero 'Stormin Norman Cowdrey' of Sherman Oaks CA.
    Norm ran a blown/injected small block Chevy on gas or alcohol in a tube frame Healey 4.....
    In the mid '60's he got the thing to run about 165mph in the 1/4.......

About 1966 my buddy Danny was given an old hammered out piston of Norm's and eventually gave it to me....

It's one of the old, flat top, supercharged, Teflon buttoned, Mickey Thompson pistons that ran in that crazy drag Healey...

.... I still have it 49 years later..........
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Those gassers were wild cars. They had to be a total handful to drive. This is a pic of a local gasser (or maybe an 'Altered' .. was there a difference?) that was at the strip every weekend. The guy owned a used car lot in the 60/70s nearby that specialized in muscle cars (name similar to mine, but different spelling) and it was a weekly stop to drool over the cars we couldn't come close to affording.

Russ Eggers.jpg

Awesome pics CE.....I just love the altered two door cars...Most of these were gone by the time I started going to the dragstrip.

Eastside Speedway..

http://eastsidespeedway.biz/index.html

Before today's tube-frame, carbon body 'Pro Stock' cars, these cars were amazing in the early 70's. Basically, a Super Stock with a more highly modified engine. The sound was incredible but they still looked like something that could be driven on the street. I remember standing along the fence at the start line and the sound was ear-splitting.

WallyBoothRaceCar.jpg

DickLandy2.jpg

grump9.jpg

MotownMissileBirdsEyeViewBampW_zpsd176e0cc.jpg

By the 80s, it got a bit crazy with stuff like Plymouth Arrows with a Hemi shoe-horned in.

RONNIE_SOX___BILLY_THE_KID_.JPG