Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 60's Super Stock & Factory Experimental

Guy here in Vienna has one of those Plymouth Arrows......unfortunately, long gone is the cool Ronnie Sox paint job...repainted in the 90's with a Purple and yellow theme that just screams 1995 Hot Rod Magazine.

Great pics! I used to see the action at the Lions and Irwindale strips-greatly missed! A good friend of mine in high school's uncle was KS Pitman. We used to swing by his house and check out his Gasser back in the day.
    I used to frequent the streets out in socal with my 69 Road Runner(still have it) and some times when we'd be making runs with Big Willie and the LA Street Racers, someone would bring one of those old Super Stockers out-awesome!
    I just sold an original Max Wedge 426 and Dick Landy's son came to pick it up!
    Finally, while not a factory experimental, my barn find 66 Hemi Coronet street racer has been causing a stir lately-on the cover of Mopar Muscle and featured on the Hot Rod Network. It was signed on the fender by the original Ramchargers last year, including Tom Hoover(the father of the 426 Hemi).

1966-dodge-coronet-unrestored-signed-by-four-original-ramchargers-members.jpg
    hardhemi2.jpg
    67 911 , 69 911S, Ford V Ferrari 906LH, 85 Carrera...and-gasp! a bunch of Corvettes, Musclecars and Italian crap(330GTC,GTA/M,308GTB)

EarlyS # 603, GroupV #2

Dug around this weekend and found a couple of photos Curt. First one was taken in Spring of 65. My dad's Vette was not even a year old and I was only 3! The second is from fall of 64 with some to the drag trophies won with the Vette. Believe it or not, Dick Moroso was our mailman at the time. Yes- the very same Dick Moroso. My dad still tells stories how Dick would show up at the track with no tools, borrow stuff all day and typically blow everyone's doors off!

pic080.jpg
    pic081.jpg
    Scott

Early S Reg. #1694/R-Gruppe #638

74 Carrera

As it appears now- 50 years and 25,000 miles later....

My dad raced it in the C Sports class. Balanced and blueprinted engine, headers and 7" slicks. Best time of 11.6 @ 112 mph. His high point was winning the 69 Spring Nationals in Englishtown. Got out of it in the early 70's because he didn't want cut the car up to keep it competitive. Good decision

DSC01150.JPG
    DSC01152.JPG
    Last edited by saz; 02-23-2015 at 10:39 AM.
    Scott

74 Carrera

Thumbs up

Absolutely outstanding Scott.........
    11.6 in '69 took all the air out of your chest for sure.... and you REALLY couldn't grab that dollar bill off the dash on'a bet....

Interesting that the right side of the country resisted the third taillight conversions.. It was hard to find a stock two taillight Stingray in SoCal in the day.....

BTW- Here's a Gold on tan '63 Fuelie in friend Mike Malamut's collection........
    http://malamutautomuseum.com/cars/co...tion/index.htm

I like your dad's much better........

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by swbstudios View Post
    Great pics! I used to see the action at the Lions and Irwindale strips-greatly missed! A good friend of mine in high school's uncle was KS Pitman. We used to swing by his house and check out his Gasser back in the day.
    I used to frequent the streets out in socal with my 69 Road Runner(still have it) and some times when we'd be making runs with Big Willie and the LA Street Racers, someone would bring one of those old Super Stockers out-awesome!
    I just sold an original Max Wedge 426 and Dick Landy's son came to pick it up!
    Finally, while not a factory experimental, my barn find 66 Hemi Coronet street racer has been causing a stir lately-on the cover of Mopar Muscle and featured on the Hot Rod Network. It was signed on the fender by the original Ramchargers last year, including Tom Hoover(the father of the 426 Hemi).
    That car is off the charts. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by saz View Post
    Believe it or not, Dick Moroso was our mailman at the time.
    And Keith Black was my barber. That's unbelievable!

Man, how cool is this thread? Scott and SWB - wow! - my chin just hit the keyboard.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

And Scott, those crepe soled Clark desert boots must have given you good traction off the line in your push car. Having Dick Moroso as your mailman must put you somewhere east of New Haven?
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Funny- I stil wear Clark's Desert boots! The more things change....

We lived on High Ridge Road in Stamford at the time.

Still looking for pics of the Vette in action. I do have a photo of my dad drag racing his 67 Fiat 850 coupe at Dover..The Abarth exhaust probably shaved a half second off its mind blowing 17 sec quarter! Talk about both ends of the speed spectrum
    Scott

74 Carrera