Thread: LED Blinker Relay

LED Blinker Relay

I installed LED tail/brake lights in my '71T this weekend and was so impressed with the improvement in brightness I figured I'd swap all the other's out for LEDs. I've looked at this in the past and it seems you need to put a resistor on the blinker lights in order for the stock blinker relay to work if you're using it. I noticed on suerbrightleds.com that they sell LED specific blinker relays and this one is specified as "German"European:"

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...asher/782/836/

The issue is, my stock Hella blinker relay has 4 pins and the one above has 3 pins.

Name:  relay.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  92.9 KB

I'm trying to figure out if the LED relay will still work and what specifically each of the 4 pins in the Hella relay actually do. If I could simply change the blinker relay vice installing resistors then that seems like a better solution.

Any electrical gurus that have any thoughts or that can tell me what each of the 4 pins on a stock Hella blinker relay do? Thanks,

Stretch
    Registry # 3063

Just found this LED blinker relay that appears to be the correct 4 pin style with the terminals labeled in the some way as the Hella unit. It says it's for a Dodge product but a little more research seems to indicate this style was pretty common among other vehicles made in the late '70's/early '80's.

http://www.autozone.com/electrical-a...er/247230_0_0/

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  15.1 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  16.7 KB

I'm thinking I'll order one of these along with the bulbs and see what I get. It looks like it should be a plug-and-play solution to having LED's all round in an early 911.

Stretch
    Registry # 3063

There is a simple, easily reversible fix so that you can use the 3-pin relay.
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...r-problem.html

Will,

I saw this and plan on doing it if the 4-pin relay doesn't work. Assuming the pins on the LED relay aren't different in terms of spacing the relay should simply plug in and work. If that's in fact the case, no wire modification would be needed (not that it's difficult in the first place) and it would be plug and play which would be even easier. I ordered a similar relay as the one I linked above from Amazon made by Tridon so I'll update once it and the LEDs get here and I test it out.

Stretch
    Last edited by Stretch32; 02-26-2015 at 02:58 PM.
    Registry # 3063