Thread: FS: @ AK 1971 Porsche 911 ST/R Tribute in Tangerine - not mine

FS: @ AK 1971 Porsche 911 ST/R Tribute in Tangerine - not mine

This car just came in to Paul and Ed's shop. I remember when they sold it a few years ago. It inspired me to finish my tangerine 911 project. Great car...fun and light.

I think they are asking $95k for it.

Their website has all the details: www.Autokennel.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

VIN = 9111100388
    Eng# = ?
    Trans# = ?

'. . . Not to long ago, if you wanted an early 911 R Gruppe style car, you found a $10k early 911 chassis, welded on some flares, slapped a ducktail on the back and you were ready to go. Well, that has all changed. It is getting harder and harder to find a decent chassis that doesn’t have rust or needs thousands of dollars of bodywork. Also, the days of a spare $5k engine lying around have long passed. Even if you have the money to spend, most people don’t have the fortitude to go through the process of getting a car built. I constantly tell my friends to buy a “done” car. Now my friends say, “ok, find me a done car.” So, this is for all my friends that bugged me in the past…here is a done car!

A friend of mine found this car not too long ago after searching for some time. He was looking for a fun early 911 that was fast; had that cool early sport purpose look; and, turnkey for fun R Gruppe events. Unfortunately, his family commitments made it very difficult to find the time to enjoy the car.

When the car first arrived, the recent owner took it over to Haydon Brothers (one of Orange County’s premier independent Porsche repair facilities) to have them go through the car. He spent about $3,000 sorting small stuff like a new alternator, major service, etc. The car drives great and is ready to hop-in and attend the next early Porsche event.

About 6 years ago, the previous owner decided to start the process of taking his 1971 911 T and turning it into an early 911 hot rod. He stumbled on a very clean and low mileage 911 Carrera (1984-1986) that had front-end damage. He bough the car and stripped the drivetrain, suspension, and brakes from it. The engine had very low miles, but he proceeded to do a top end rebuild anyway as well as upgrade the 915 transmission to a 7:31 ring and pinion. The ’71 T was stripped and repainted factory 018 Tangerine (Silver 8080 was the original color). The body was checked for rust and none was found. Correct steel RS flares were installed. To give it just the right “sport-purpose” look. An early 911 R bumper was custom fitted around the Carrera oil cooler. Also, 911 R taillights from TRE Motorsports were installed. The final touch were the wheels. The front wheels are factory 15x7 Fuchs with an RSR frosted finish by Harvey Weidman. The rear wheels are real 15x8 Minilites from England. The wheels wear new Bridgestone Potenza tires. As a final touch, 911 R Graphics were installed.

Once the body was ready, the fresh 3.2 Carrera engine and tranny was fitted as well as the Carrera suspension (Bilsteins) and brakes. 22mm and 28mm torsion bars were installed as well as TRG sway bars and Weltmeister strut brace.

The current owner purchased the car a couple of years ago and had the car shipped directly to Patrick Motorsports for even further enhancements. This included:

New master cylinder
    Fresh oil service
    New engine and transmission mounts with new hardware
    Custom fender liners (ABS material)
    Fresh wiring
    Cleaned and refreshed front suspension pan
    New door and window seals
    Replaced pedal assembly
    Resealed chain box covers/installed new gaskets
    New engine fan (11-blade)
    New fuse panel
    Corner balance and alignment
    Custom alcantera biscuit/diamond weave seat/door panel inserts
    Custom heater system
    Gauges rebuilt by VDO with upgraded LED lighting

The car looks great with just the right attitude. The paint is in very good condition. It shows a few minor rock chips on the front nose (to be expected), which have been professionally touched-up.

The interior is very tidy and helps continue that “sport purpose” feel. The dash is in excellent condition with no warping or cracks. The headliner is in equally nice condition. The lightweight carpet kit is fresh and looks great with the early 911 RS lightweight door panels. The GTS RS style seats add just the right amount of support while also providing very good comfort for longer rides. The bolt in roll bar secures a new set of Schroth 4-point street belts. These are a great middle road between the security of race harnesses with the ease of use of regular seat belts. The Wevo shifter, Momo Prototipo, and the clock delete plate are great finishing touches. A modern heating system was installed to help make the car comfortable for those cold morning drives.

Finally, the best part: driving. This car screams light and nimble. The torque of the 3.2 really launches this Porsche. Also, the engine makes a great sound through the Dansk sport muffler. It just begs for you to push. The car shifts extremely smooth as well.

This 911 R/ST tribute is such a great all around car for those of you looking for a reliable and fun entry into the early 911-hotrod culture . . .
    '

(Not mine)
    Last edited by LongRanger; 03-05-2015 at 05:55 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

sale pending already. They have a gorgeous 73 E Targa in Gemini blue too. Spectacular car. Don't see it on their site yet.

~J~
    air cooled only