Thread: Late Model Seat Belts/Reels into Early Cars

Late Model Seat Belts/Reels into Early Cars

The belts/reels for the '74 up cars are superseded to a 928 part number. Would a 964 belt reel assembly work?

The original belt reel is marked REPA 01.80.320.0

Thanks.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Why not? If you have the correct receivers with them then it should be ok I would think.

Cees

As stated above, you just need the receivers and the belts. They can be attached to the center tunnel brackets in the 74.

Regards

Jim

Something to consider - I believe seat belts designed for cars with airbags perform differently than seat belts designed for cars without airbags. I believe the airbag belts allow more stretch or something. Keep this in mind if you are thinking about installing 964 belts in your '74.

My suggestion is to go with new belts from Pep Parts or have the original belts/mechanisms rebuilt with new belts.
    -Scott
    1987 911 turbo
    In the past - '71 T, '77 S 3.6, '80 SC, '88 3.6 cab

Thanks. I've talked to Lucas. The key to this is being able to use the original buckles from the '74 as the 928 part has a square hole in the buckle vs. round in my early belts.
    If you change the belts to the supersession part I think you have to update the receiver (female side) as well. That gets into serious money. As is the 928 reels are about $475. Buy the receivers and I think you drop another $400-$500. Re-webbing is a good option.

Airbag belts will will slacken a bit to allow the bag to do it's job.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Something else to consider. Some of the belts will only work correctly if installed at the correct angle. Be sure to use something that retracts at the same % degree. The alternative is to buy new multi- angled reels as they work anywhere.