Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuel pump mounting confusion

fuel pump mounting confusion

My 72 project in boxes came with a later model front suspension and its crossbar shown in the photo below (not my car). I have the correct fuel pump and bracket for a 72, but the mounting bracket won't work on the later crossbar. This later crossbar has one vertical mounting slot in the center. I need to source the bracket , rubber isolation mount, clamp and strap shown in the photo. Can anyone identify the year that this type mounting was used? Any definitive help is much appreciated, thanks. MikeName:  fuel tank underside.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  63.6 KB

Was used on SC's
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

1972 the fuel pump mounts in the rear left of the car and not by the gas tank as seen in 1970 and earlier.

Not the most descriptive diagram, but it gives you the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Thanks all for the help....I have that info, but unfortunately the support piece welded to the torsion bar housing is missing and I need either to fashion a piece or relocate the fuel pump as in the photo

Here are your pump mount pictures, the console is 911-501-023-01. I'd try to order it from Porsche, it's amazing what is still in the parts supply. Since this is welded to the torsion housing some one had to really want it off to do all that cutting.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thank you Ed....I'll try Porsche

Hi, in case it helps they are available and from memory they are approx. £50. We have fitted them in the past. The first picture in the thread is for none MFI 74 on cars using the ally cross bar. Ally cross bars were used on some 73 cars but those are the super rare forged type used on the RSR and some RS's.

HTH

Alan

I am all for originality, but is it not true that sometimes the pumps were moved up by the fuel tank to reduce heat to the fuel pump and likelyhood of vapor lock? Depending on overall originality, location of the car and use, might one consider leaving it where it is?
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

The rear 911 pump location really isn't prone to vapor lock, in fact I don't ever recall an instance of that happening. The pump on the torsion bar housing is away from all heat sources. Now the 914 was another matter, the pump was right near exhaust heat. The best reason for putting the pump up front is that electric pumps work better pushing gas rather than drawing gas. The pump has gone back and forth as to location over the years. Supposedly on the prototypes it was up front, but was moved to the engine bay because of noise complaints from early road tests.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.