Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Talbot mirror stamp

Here are several paragraphs from a comprehensive article I wrote on Talbot mirrors as applied to the 300 SL:

Starting with Roadster 7500081, Mercedes-Benz added a chromed Talbot mirror with a flat mirror face as standard equipment and mounted it on the driver’s side fender. This item may be found, among other listings, in the Type 300 SL Roadster Catalog B (1961) at Table 44, Figure No.5, Part No. 42 198 81 00 16) and became known in the trade as the Type 300 SLR mirror.

During this period, many owners and dealers chose to install Talbot mirrors on the 300 SL Coupe instead of the Mercedes-Benz “gooseneck” type. Talbot mirrors in production form were streamlined (conical) in shape, chrome plated, and came in two sizes. The “Senior,” the one most usually installed on the 300 SL, had a mirror diameter of approximately 100mm while the “Junior” had a mirror diameter of approximately 90mm. Both were available with either flat or convex mirror faces and later with a brushed aluminum finish in addition to the chrome, For identification purposes, Talbot mirrors carried two forms of logotypes on their top sides. The earliest had “TALBOT & CO – BERLIN” uppercase lettering arranged in a circular shape around a plain center.

The second version had “Talbot + Co - W. Berlin” uppercase and lowercase lettering with a stylized letter “T” in the center of the logo.

As part of this discussion it should be noted that any Talbot mirror bearing a “green dot” logo was not manufactured prior to the early 1970s and thus is not appropriate as either original or “period correct” equipment for any 300 SL.
    Last edited by ejboyd5; 12-19-2020 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
    Here are several paragraphs from a comprehensive article I wrote on Talbot mirrors as applied to the 300 SL:

Starting with Roadster 7500081, Mercedes-Benz added a chromed Talbot mirror with a flat mirror face as standard equipment and mounted it on the driver’s side fender. This item may be found, among other listings, in the Type 300 SL Roadster Catalog B (1961) at Table 44, Figure No.5, Part No. 42 198 81 00 16) and became known in the trade as the Type 300 SLR mirror.

During this period, many owners and dealers chose to install Talbot mirrors on the 300 SL Coupe instead of the Mercedes-Benz “gooseneck” type. Talbot mirrors in production form were streamlined (conical) in shape, chrome plated, and came in two sizes. The “Senior,” the one most usually installed on the 300 SL, had a mirror diameter of approximately 100mm while the “Junior” had a mirror diameter of approximately 90mm. Both were available with either flat or convex mirror faces and later with a brushed aluminum finish in addition to the chrome, For identification purposes, Talbot mirrors carried two forms of logotypes on their top sides. The earliest had “TALBOT & CO – BERLIN” uppercase lettering arranged in a circular shape around a plain center.

The second version had “Talbot + Co - W. Berlin” uppercase and lowercase lettering with a stylized letter “T” in the center of the logo.

As part of this discussion it should be noted that any Talbot mirror bearing a “green dot” logo was not manufactured prior to the early 1970s and thus is not appropriate as either original or “period correct” equipment for any 300 SL.

Quote Originally Posted by mejia_anthony View Post
    Based on what I’ve read here, I thought “Talbot + Co” came before “Talbot & Co”

I figured you would need the earlier version for a 1965 car.

Mejia_anthony this version is different what ejboyd5 says. It is quite difficult to get the same answer as I can read from the above. The truth will be somewhere in the middle I suppose

@gunbab, looks like you have the first version which would be correct for your 65/66. The lower case came after.

Another detaile regarding the Talbot mirrors, when did they switch from the profile on main cone to non profile and plastic seal between the two main parts? I have both types on my Talbot & Co Berlin brass mirrors. I also belive that the Talbot + Co (stamping on the higher base) mirrors are aluminium and not brass?
    '67 911S Sunroof, Polo Red(Project disguised as a G-model)
    '67 912 Sunroof, Light Ivory(Alive and kickin')
    '67 912 SWTarga, Signal Red(Project in the making)
    X: 67 911 Coupe + 67S Targa, 912, 924, 944, 928, 356