Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: And so it begins.....the 904 project!

And so it begins.....the 904 project!

The 914 race car arrived today, the 904 body is half built, but should be here soon. Very exciting!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

What's your project?
    Put the 904 body on the 914? Or do you plan something more accurate?

PS: where did you get the body? The guy in Canada?

Olivier.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
    What's your project?
    Put the 904 body on the 914? Or do you plan something more accurate?

PS: where did you get the body? The guy in Canada?

Olivier.
    A friend in Canada is making the body. The plan is to shorten the 914 and mount the body the 904 body, luckily the 914 has already been skinned, saving me lots of time. It's going to be fun!
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!

Curious, why not just do a Beck? Seems it would be easier than shortening a 914.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

A couple of reasons.
    1. Because I don't think it's been done before.
    2. It's just me, but it's important to me that it is a Porsche, and when I do this, it's still a Porsche, with real DNA.

Same reason why I'm going to mount my aluminum 550 body on a 356 chassis. In the vein of building a "Porsche Special" rather than just another kit car, the world has enough of those.

Like skinning a rabbit, you can see the carcass in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
    A couple of reasons.
    1. Because I don't think it's been done before.
    2. It's just me, but it's important to me that it is a Porsche, and when I do this, it's still a Porsche, with real DNA.

Same reason why I'm going to mount my aluminum 550 body on a 356 chassis. In the vein of building a "Porsche Special" rather than just another kit car, the world has enough of those.
    love it...

All the best, should be a cool exercise in creativity.

Keep posting this will be a pleasure follow.
    Regards,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
    rather than just another kit car, the world has enough of those.
    Eye of the beholder...

So the body isn't just a kit?
    Slate Gray, Red Leather, 1968 912 HWT

The body finally arrived, getting it was a nightmare with customs issues and having to be handled by no less than 4 different shippers, but it arrived and is safe and sound at Unobtanium HQ. It felt a little like X-mass morning.

The center seat 914 already gave up it's gearbox for the build and will now be cut to ribbons to test fit the body. My thinking is I would rather make all the wrong cuts on the right body, so when it comes time to fit the body on the yellow 914/6 I have worked out all the kinks. A trial run of sorts. I feel a little bad slicing up the 914, but it was so butchered already I figured no-one would ever bring it back, so rather than scrap it at least it's death will help the cause. The old saying of Porsche restoring holds true, some die so others can live.

Look for weekly updates, it's very exciting.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (142.5 KB, 887 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (118.2 KB, 897 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (95.6 KB, 882 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (118.4 KB, 896 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (104.2 KB, 888 views)