Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: And so it begins.....the 904 project!

Ok, so we finally got out from the pile of cars and parts we buried ourselves in since the summer. Next time when someone asks if I want to do a 50 car Porsche deal, I won't be as enthusiastic!
    Back to the grind on the 904 project, literally, grinding and cutting the skin off the test bed car, the doomed 914 center seater. Well, as excited as I was to get back into the project, it was a classic case of two steps forward, one step back. I worked on the chassis most of Thursday and had planned to go into the shop on Friday and have a whole day of Porsche bliss. Since it was a holiday my phone would not be ringing so I could just fire up the pellet stove, turn on some music and get to work. Except, while grinding on Thursday a little piece of metal got past my safety glasses so by the evening my eye was swelling pretty good and by bedtime it felt like pins were in my eye when I tried to close it. Ever try to sleep without closing one eye?
    So Friday morning I went to a Doc-In-The-Box and after looking at my eye they sent me to the ER, so the day I was supposed to be in Porsche Project Heaven I was actually in ER Hell. Luckily the 3rd DR to try was able to get the chunk of Porsche out of my eyeball and it quickly starting feeling better. I still have to see a 4th DR on Monday to deal with the rust ring the metal made in my eye. Yes, in case you were wondering, Porsche rust never sleeps, even in your eyeball!
    So Saturday the kids had art camp so I went to the shop and got slicing and dicing, the 914 now looks more like a Kubelwagon than a 914. Now that winter has officially hit NY, look for more updates in the coming weeks.
    Oh, and don't grind in just safety glasses, I ignored my own advice and the ER visit was the result, wear a full face shield.
    Happy New Year-
    Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

I was making really good progress today until I had to go and see the eye DR to do the final scrapping of rust out of my eye. But the rear end is really starting to look like it belongs. More updates tomorrow, it's in the single digits outside so lots of time to work in the warm shop, winter is here!
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!

Got it within about 1.5 inches of where I want the rear end today. Tomorrow I will play with lowering the rear shock towers, that should buy me the space I need for a perfect fit. The headaches are getting bigger, but so if the fun!
    Starting to look like a car.

Today was eventful, got the rear end where I wanted it. Getting it there wasn't easy, we had to drill out all the spot welds on the rear shock towers. When we build the real chassis we will lower the shock towers. In fact, I will probably re-use the ones I pulled off the test car because the race cars ones have been modified for the roll cage. But the rear end is now in the right range of where it needs to be, a good dry fit.
    Then we moved onto the main body and our heads really started to hurt. Lots of measuring and staring, and drawing, and re-measuring, but we will do the main body cut tomorrow, right behind the floor center cross member.
    Lots of dramatic moves on the body, and cutting is always fun, but we are now getting into the more serious cuts and lots of math.
    Stay tuned!

Today was both dramatic and eventful. After what seemed like a million cuts we got the car into two pieces, and then made it back into one, losing 5 inches in the process. From there we were able to get the main part of the body in place, so you can start to see the 904 emerging. It's getting fun!

What a project, enjoy the process it will be special. Hope the eye is better.
    Mike

Could you change the thread heading to "904 Recreation Project"?

Quote Originally Posted by brookedale091462 View Post
    Could you change the thread heading to "904 Recreation Project"?
    Yeah, let me get right on that....

---Adam

Today was all Hollywood, meaning it was all about the nose job. We ran out of day but got to a good stopping point.

In all seriousness, a 904 is a 904. This is a rebodied 914. I am enjoying the photos as much as anybody but it is what it is.
    When a craftsman takes a Ferrari 250GTE and rebodies it as a 250TR it is described as a recreation. Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
    Yeah, let me get right on that....

---Adam