Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: And so it begins.....the 904 project!

Stefan
    I didn't quite understand your strong opinion on the 904 replica until I looked at your grand total of 8 posts since 2011 and they are all about the 904 replica you want to get certified with FIA for vintage racing.
    Makes sense
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanB View Post
    "... Accuracy is a big deal in our hobby or profession ..." said who?
    I would say: Fun is a big deal in our hobby or profession

What's wrong with "904 project"? Did Porsche invented the 9 and the 0 and the 4 ?

I know some people with original 904s. A friend had one from the two original 8 cylinder 904 prototype, now sold to Japan.
    Some of the owners of original 904s have also a copy to race.
    I never met an owner from an original 904, who had a problem with my replica. And I had never a problem to tell them it's a replica.

The only thing which I think is stupid, is having a replica and tell that it's an original. But I really don't see that problem in this thread

Hello senior member #3129,
    Even the FIA changed long ago the rules and today it’s is no problem to get the FIA certificate for replica racecars as long they are build correct.
    And yes - my car has the necessary papers and I have a lot of fun on the track.

For me it’s ok to have different opinions about one topic, the motivation might be different.

Looking forward to see more about this (my opinion) very cool project!

… this was my post number 9 - yeah!

Have fun and a very nice weekend!
    Stefan

Moving forward, I think we can all agree this is a cool project and not a super duper high dollar one, making it even rarer in the Porsche world. I think we can also agree it isn't a 904, nor is it pretending to be. When I build my cars I like to think I am channeling Ferry Porsche a little when he said,
    "I looked around and could not find quite the car I dreamed of, so I decided to build it myself."
    Ferry Porsche

In my case while I do have several very cool Porsches in my collection, a 60 Drauz Roadster, or a 58 A Coupe that won Daytona, but what I won't ever have in my collection is a million dollar 904, so I will have to build one to make that dream happen. Same with the aluminum 550 body I am having built.
    Stay tuned!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Unobtanium-inc; 01-15-2016 at 10:26 AM.
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
    Moving forward, I think we can all agree this is a cool project and not a super duper high dollar one, making it even rarer in the Porsche world. I think we can also agree it isn't a 904, nor is it pretending to be. When I build my cars I like to think I am channeling Ferry Porsche a little when he said,
    "I looked around and could not find quite the car I dreamed of, so I decided to build it myself."
    Ferry Porsche
    Amen and bravo.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Cool build Adam thanks for sharing
    Rob Abbott

Well, looks like a no-go on the off the shelf Dual A-arm setups. The Mendeola guys didn't respond when I asked if it would work for my project but the guy from EyeBall Engineering, who sells a similar setup was nice enough to get back with a very refreshing and honest answer.
    "hi
    in a word no,but anything is possible with enough money
    the old saying goes speed costs money,how fast do you want to go?
    thanks bruce"

I can only assume the answer would have been the same from Mendeola, which is why they didn't bother to respond.
    Either way neither system will work as far as I know, so I'm back to my own engineering. I had already planned to lower the shock towers in the rear but I guess I'm going to try for the shorter shock in the front. I'm confident I can make it work.
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!

Thanks Stefan,
    With vintage dying off they need more cars. I also have benefitted from a loosening of the policies.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanB View Post
    Hello senior member #3129,
    Even the FIA changed long ago the rules and today it’s is no problem to get the FIA certificate for replica racecars as long they are build correct.
    And yes - my car has the necessary papers and I have a lot of fun on the track.

For me it’s ok to have different opinions about one topic, the motivation might be different.

Looking forward to see more about this (my opinion) very cool project!

… this was my post number 9 - yeah!

Have fun and a very nice weekend!
    Stefan

Ok, so we cleared a bunch of cars out so I felt I had the time to get back on this project. Also, Thursday's I'm at the shop by myself so no distractions. I think I had been dreading this day because it is kind of the point of no return, cutting up the yellow 914. There is no going back now. I will start fitting the rear soon, then move forward. I'll probably send the rear suspension out to the guys at Elephant to get the ball rolling on that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi.

Stupid question maybe, but, since there isn't much of the 914 frame left, wouldn't it be "simpler" to just build a tube frame? Then you could fit you own suspension?

If you need XYZ of the original pick up points for the suspension, I 'may' be able to provide them...

Olivier.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
    Hi.

Stupid question maybe, but, since there isn't much of the 914 frame left, wouldn't it be "simpler" to just build a tube frame? Then you could fit you own suspension?

If you need XYZ of the original pick up points for the suspension, I 'may' be able to provide them...

Olivier.
    Yes, a tube frame would have been in some ways easier, but it isn't what I was after with the build. I decided to take a former race car and breath new life into it with a re-body, much in the same vein as the "Porsche Specials" of old. So it was important to me that when I was done it was built on a Porsche with Porsche DNA. I know it might seem silly to some but it was very important to me that the car was and is a Porsche.