Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: And so it begins.....the 904 project!

Don't get me wrong.

It's not a judgement from me. I respect 100% your project. Just a thought, since it really doesn't seems easy to adapt everything on the remainings of the 914 frame.

Good luck!

Olivier.

Found some time yesterday to get some cutting done. I was able to start playing with lowering the rear shock towers. The side oil tank might be a problem. I was hoping to leave it alone but it looks like I might have to move it inwards, so the rear body work can clear. I ran out of day, but at least I got some time in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Ok, I said enough was enough and threw my phone in the toilet today and said,
    "I'm working on my car!!!"
    I have to say it was very satisfying to get back on it, I think I'm going to do the same tomorrow.
    My latest hurdle was once I got the rear end dry fitted it was sitting too high. I couldn't lower the motor and I didn't want to give up running Weber's so I consulted with my mechanic on what my options were. After putting our heads together we decided if we took out the velocity stacks we could lower the rain hats. While I would lose a few horsepower the car has plenty to spare. Once decided on this course I had to figure out how to do it. I cut the K&N filer in half and it fit well and then I took the studs the rain hats sit on and trimmed them. This involved hacksawing and JB welding. Once I prove this as a working system I will probably get K&N to make me the correct height air cleaners and maybe make better rain hat studs, though these may work. With that done the rear end was fitting at a much better angle. The other option we toyed with was running the velocity stacks out of the body like a 906, but with the rear grill it would have been awkward.
    Once this was done I started on cutting the sheet metal off the front but ran out of day. Tomorrow will be a little dull, it will take me awhile to dis-mantle the fire suppression system and take out the fuel cell. I don't think the out-dated fire system will be missed and the fuel cell is huge, like something you would need to run the Dakar Rally. I figure after lunch I can start getting the rest of the sheet metal gone and hopefully if I'm real lucky I can pack up and get the shocks off to Elephant Racing for their haircuts. After that I'm out of time, hitting the road again on Monday, picking up a very cool and rare 356, so rare I've never had one like it before.
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!

Some more pics.

Ran out of day and the fire system took some slow brain work to figure out how to get it out. It was still fully pressurized so I didn't want a face full of Halon. It came out in one piece, I'll take it to Hershey this year to see if anyone can't live without it. Also got the massive fuel cell. The rest of the day was taken up with measurements, figuring out where to trim the front and how much can be saved. When I chopped the test body I wasn't really thinking about how much to leave since I just wanted to see if the body would fit. Now that I want to save as much of the original body as possible and want to save as much structure as I can the cuts are getting much more deliberate and surgical.

Hopefully I can make more time next week.

I was only to get a half day in today, had to leave early for a daughter orthodontist appointment, but tomorrow I will be alone at the shop to I can keep the momentum going. I was able to cut away the top of the cowl and the hinge area, ran out of time on the steering column area, going to leave as much of that as I can because I don't know how much I will need and where everything will align with the new dash.

Ok, today was dramatic, starting to take shape. The front nose is right where I need it. I will have to relocate the oil cooler from where it was on the 914. But I was able to retain 914 wheel wells so that is good news. This is getting fun again!

Haven't updated this one in awhile. The chassis is almost done, we've shortened it, lowered all the shock towers, and am now doing the final cuts to accept the 904 body. Slow going, but not much to go on, not sure if more than a couple of people have ever done this.

---Adam

do you have any update please?

love 904

No new work, but I recently did a buying trip through VA and stopped off to see my friend Bob Garretson to get him to sign the dash. He had some great stories of racing 935's and the like. Bob and Bruce Anderson originally built this car for IMSA racing.