Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 73S - rear glass defroster wiring and install question

73S - rear glass defroster wiring and install question

In preparation of re-installing the rear coupe glass with a new defroster wiring harness (it had been removed in the past so I did not have the benefit of seeing it wired), I am in need of two things - one is where to make the (four) female terminal connections (two brown/ground wires, one red/black wire, and one red/white to the terminals on the glass. There are (3) sets/pairs of male terminals on each side of the glass (defroster lines run horizontally) and the harness wire lengths indicate a connection at each 'corner' of the window. PET has a listing for 'additional rear glass wiring (2 needed) along with the main harness. While the main harness was available, the 'additional' wiring is not. I suspect these two lengths were some sort of jumper wires to 'fill in' between the four corners where I believe the main harness is connected. I would so appreciate it if anyone call help me understand this....my goal is to have a car where everything (even things I won't use like the defroster) to be assembled and work as it was designed. Lastly, any hints on how to install the main harness within the new gasket/glass, i.e. does the gasket need to be cut, modified, holes punched to accept the four harness wires? I imagine as original, the harness wires were not visible. Thank you all.

I'm doing a Targa glass right now, if no one has help any sooner I'll try to get some pictures in the next couple days.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I'm doing a Targa glass right now, if no one has help any sooner I'll try to get some pictures in the next couple days.
    Ed - thank you so much. Eric is coming to my home on Monday to do the glass install magic, so any information you can provide ahead of that would be so appreciated. Steve

Steve,
    Here's a thread on Pelican with a good deal of info that you might find useful.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-location.html

At some point I might attempt to install that wiring as well, since a PO removed it presumably during a repaint. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
    --Richard
    Early 911S Registry #2337

Richard - you are the man!! Well, I just printed the 21 pages from the pelicanparts post and the project is indeed not for the faint-of heart. Did I really say that I insist on everything working as original??? I'll start reading what I printed and hope I gain the courage needed. Thank you!

On the two stage you have a red /white and a red/black. The red/black goes to the lower connection (one closest to the rear on driver side) and the red/white goes to the middle connection. There is a black jumper wire from the lower connection to the uppermost connection. This is the input side, the other side of glass is the ground side, it just has two black wires joining the three connections together. There is one brown wire that extends from the drivers side across the bottom of the glass to the passenger side bottom connection. When all hooked up you should have about 4 to 7 ohms across each element, that is from red/white to ground and same for red/black. You will have to determine the correct point for the wires to enter into the rubber seal from their entry point in the rear deck, and punch appropriate holes in the inner flap for the wires to enter the channel in the seal. There are TWO channels in the seal, outer one is for the wires, the inner is what goes on the glass. this is the hard part, getting the inner channel over the glass edge. Then you must cut a section out of the inner lip around each spade connection on the glass so the wire can go from the outer to the inner channel and onto the spade connections. For this I use a small diagonal cutter to make the end cuts, then a small end cutter to cut the lip from the seal. You'll have to have seal partially installed to locate these areas to cut. After the seal is on then you install the anodized trim by pulling the lip back so the trim drops right in the groove, NEVER apply any force to the trim. I make sure the trim fits the window opening before installing it.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

these are the two pliars I use.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed - thank you so much for sharing your experience, instructions, and photos..I'll hopefully report back success! Steve

Ed - my new harness from PORSCHE has the red/black and red/white wires and TWO brown wires. Your thoughts please on connecting the other brown wire (I noted in your post your harness has just one brown)? Thank you, Steve

What length are the two brown wires? Could they just be the short wires that connect all the ground tabs on the passenger side of the glass?
    I assume your main harness, the one that comes from the relay and enters up through the parcel deck, has a its own ground point connection that grounds at the main ground stud behind the fuel filter. That is the ground wire that has to go across the bottom of the glass over to the bottom ground tab connection on the passenger side of the glass.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.