Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front suspension bushing :how to ??

Front suspension bushing :how to ??

Hello,

I've ordered from FVD in Germany new bushing for the front suspension control arm. (72 2,4)

I know that original where "hot glued" during making, but now what should i do with the bushing ?
    My control arm where glass blasted, cataphorèse and painted.

It seems to me it will be difficult to put them on the arm and inside the holders.

Any ideas ???

thanks

fred ©

member #1515
    some fit looser than others. The elephant racing ones are a tight fit. No paint on mating surfaces lots of rubber lube and press on. Elephant racing has an install video and a special tool to help.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

thanks for reply, but original model where "vulcanized" when they were made, and this i not a good idea to put grease because the rubber must twist when driving, not slide !!

Elephant racing are very hard, so they cannot twist, that why they work that way. Not like original

fred ©

member #1515
    By rubber lube, I mean a soap based lube that dries. I used the elephant rubber bushings and find they are equal to or better than the originals. I think they offer Sport or Standard. I used Standard.
    As tight as they go on they do not move once installed. If you use the URO looser alternative, I think you will be disappointed.
    They would not last very long if they were moving in the bushing and not twisting.
    How are you proposing to revulcanize?
    There has been quite a bit of discussion in previous threads about this.
    David

The Elephant ones twist, not slide.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

RSTarga,

That's why I suggest "immediate glu", called in France "superglu"

Flieger,

How Elephant can twist if they are not glued ???
    Only because they are tight in place ??

fred ©

if there's enough friction between rubber and the parts, then, the rubber will twist...
    So, the fit must be quite tight.

Take your tires; do they spin arround the rim? And you put quite some torque on them!

member #1515
    Superglue won't hold long in those conditions. The bushings go on tight and as Flieger states they twist.
    David

I'm ok with you, but why the factory "vulcanized" them new and see how they are 20-30 years after, they don't twist anymore

I think even without glue we will have difficulties to put them on !!!

Fred ©

What does FVD say to do?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.