Thread: Best DA sander?

Best DA sander?

Looking to upgrade from my drill and sanding wheel to a DA sander. What DA Sander gives you the most "bang for the buck"? I was thinking about getting a craftsman one for about $50 or so, no need to go out and get a snap-on one for like $300 since I don't see myself becoming a body guy. Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

Sebastian
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

Snap-On is not the best anyway. Dynabrade's are what most dealer guys use, $200ish. Hutchins' are the "Best" DA sanders, very smooth and quiet, but more like $400 (if they're still made). I'd just get something from Harbor Freight for basic sanding. If your sanding actual body filler repairs then do by hand with a block. Air tools can go too far too quick without experience. Though I would never use air tools on filler areas anyway.

Make sure your primer is water proof! Not all primer is water proof as that is not a primers job.
    Last edited by Ryan242v; 03-13-2015 at 07:23 AM.
    Ryan Billy, Grasshopper learning from the Grand Master.

The Hutchins' is actually what my boss recommended to me as well. He used to do body work before joining the Navy (20 years ago). I'm just trying to strip the paint off and prime. I only found a few areas with bondo (filler) that I had to take out. My boss said to be careful with that sanding wheel I was using with the drill not to gouge into the metal. I try to work over the whole area and not just stay in one spot.
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28