Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard Starting 2.7

Hard Starting 2.7

Engine is an S-spec 2.7 with PMO's, MSD, Pertronix. Over last several months it has gotten harder and harder to start. If it sits for a week, it can take nearly one minute of cranking to fire and stay on. Not long ago, it needed just 2-3 pumps of the pedal to fire after 2-3 turns. I have experimented with different starting techniques...from one 'accelerator pump full' to many, nothing works right though more gas works better than very little. A little starter fluid into the carbs seems to set it off instantly suggesting a fuel issue. But the accelerator pumps (all of them) pump a nice healthy stream from the very first stroke... they are set to deliver less gas than many use but they have been that way for years. Gas in float bowls is where it ought to be. Carbs are well maintained and clean. I have a check valve in the fuel line helping to prevent gas from flowing back into the tank. Plugs are gapped at 0.50" where I have had them forever. Timing is perfect. MSD is throwing a nice spark. Once lit, car runs perfectly.
    These things are kind of simple but this is driving me nuts. Anyone have a thought?
    ANSWER after a lot of checking: bad gas. See last post.
    Last edited by jameshtaylor; 03-25-2015 at 08:42 AM.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

Banned
    Stupid question:
    How old is the fuel in the tank?

Not stupid, but not old. It probably gets a tank a month on average, with more on track weekends. Current tank is two weeks old.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.

Banned
    Like dove hunting with a pellet gun...

I would pull a plug and see if they're burning rich. That's the only thing that comes to mind. If so, run a hotter plug and maybe lean down your mixture.

Plugs look beautiful. Mixture (per AFR) is about where it ought to be. I moved to a leaner idle jet a while ago. Didn't mention before as I don't think idle jet has any effect on the engine until it's running... depending as it does on vacuum for its operation. But thanks for the thoughts.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara

Sounds like most of the fuel stuff checks out...
    Try checking the draw at the starter, and the starter. Lots of cable, lots of potential drop.... plus a possible weakening starter... Just'a thought James... it's happen to me.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Are you running points? Once had a hard starting problem that I traced to a split rubbing block. Ran well once it fired, but started hard.

Noah-Pertronix. Chuck-car cranks like crazy. Whatever this is it isn't the cranking speed/vigor! Thanks. I'm stumped.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara

Banned
    James,
    You DO KNOW the rule here, right?

Since you posted milking us for info it is mandatory that you tell us what you found wrong...

no matter how embarrassing or stupid. We're all here to learn something new.

Adjust the valves...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687