Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical tachometers, what years?

Mechanical tachometers, what years?

I have a 1967 911S which I am restoring. I am going to use a 1969 911S engine which has been converted to carbs. Will the 1969 engine have a pick up for the 1967 mechanical tach? In other words, I do not know when Porsche changed from a mechanical to an electrical tach.

Thanks for the reply, in advance.
    Jerry G
    Jerry G

"Confidence is the feeling you
    have before you fully understand
    the situation."

All production Porsche's used electric tachs. Only the race cars used mechanical tachs.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

As Ed said, Porsche changed when they went from the 4 cyl 356 to the 6 cyl in the 911.
    The race tach drive is off of the cam as I recall.... I can't imagine the grief or the benefit of a mechanical tach in a 911.
    They were/are a pain in the 356 IMHO.
    H

I got wrapped around my own axle when reading an article about tachs. A mechanical tach discussion was regarding racing tachs. Thanks for the clarrification regarding the rest of the story. And yes, I do have an electrical tach.
    Jerry G

the situation."

Porsche ended mechanical tachs in street cars In 1964. 1965 YM 356s were fitted with electric tachs.
    Just for grins, my 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk had an electric tach!

Looks like my efforts to erase all 356 knowledge from my memory is starting to work....
    Thanks Jim for the correction. I succumb to the master of all things 356 related....forgot about the last gasp 65 C tach....(It was my unnecessarily feeble attempt to clarify Ed's response)
    H

Here is what got me on this link. When redoing the '67 911S I am working on the tunnel. I removed what I believe to be a damaged mechanical tach cable running from the instrument area to the engine bay. Since the instruments (and the rest of the car) is stripped, and my memory fading from a year of other auto work, I was not certain just what it was connected (if ever) to. Because most of my work in the past has been on 356s, I began to research the use of mechanical tachs and found that they were on racing cars. Because of the input in this thread I dug up the tach that came with the car, and it is, indeed, electrical. But that begs my really stupid question, "Just what is the cable that I thought was for a mechanical tach?" Were they put in some, but not all, 911S, for racing? Or is it not a tach cable? I now feel like a real rube.
    Jerry G

the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    Here is what got me on this link. When redoing the '67 911S I am working on the tunnel. I removed what I believe to be a damaged mechanical tach cable running from the instrument area to the engine bay. Since the instruments (and the rest of the car) is stripped, and my memory fading from a year of other auto work, I was not certain just what it was connected (if ever) to. Because most of my work in the past has been on 356s, I began to research the use of mechanical tachs and found that they were on racing cars. Because of the input in this thread I dug up the tach that came with the car, and it is, indeed, electrical. But that begs my really stupid question, "Just what is the cable that I thought was for a mechanical tach?" Were they put in some, but not all, 911S, for racing? Or is it not a tach cable? I now feel like a real rube.
    It is the spedometer cable. 911s drive the spedometer cable from the transmission while 356s drive the spedo from the LF wheel hub.

Regards

Jim

Thanks, Jim. Now I feel a little less "rube-less." Note my saying after my name. I hate to ask these "obvious" questions, since I've been a 356/912 Porsche-file for so long. No wonder I could not find the speedo sender attachment on the front wheel! But I learn something every day, thanks to these sites. Once again, it was a pleasure talking to you at the Lit Meet. Thanks for your great work with EASY. FYI, the replacement cable is being built at North Hollywood, my go-to instrument guys.
    Jerry G

the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    since I've been a 356/912 Porsche-file for so long.
    porsche-phile - small point, but very important.