Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi to all new to forum....911 s 1967 questions

Hi to all new to forum....911 s 1967 questions

Hi to all .... I want to share my 1967 s Porsche since I am new to the forum , the has been with me since 1993 it has the correct vin number in front and in the dash #307839S , trans is 911/02 # 104532 I believe that the correct paint number is 68-660-G ( a type of white ... Still looking to desifer it) the bad part but not so bad the engine I believe is a 2.2 #6116629 911/07 from what car and year it's from....don't know it has chrome wheels and hub caps not Fuchs

My question to everyone is does having a different engine affects in any way the value of the car... The color right now is not the original .... After figuring out what color it is .... It will be change

Any help will be more than welcome

Yup, more valuable with correct/original numbered engine

Unfortunately, a numbers matching engine is one of the single most important factors affecting value. The good news is that any 67S is a very special (and valuable) car.

Banned
    Enro,
    Those last two guys are way too vague. Am I right or am I right? The good news is that the second guy usually answers with "I'll take this" so you got more than your money's worth.

Factor at least a 20% hit with non matching motor.

Sorry, I'm just the messenger.

Thanks...so still got something moneys worth... I am triying to find out to what year and model belongs the engine that has now....also need some tlc in the front clip....will post some pictures to judge...still i believe is a great car

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    You might want to get a copy of Brett Johnson's The 911 & 912 Porsche, A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity. It has a wealth of reference information, including a table in the back which shows that a 911/07 engine was for a 1970/1971 US Spec 911T. The US Spec 911T engines ran from 6114001 to 6119501.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Frank, you and your 20% stat! Its simply your opinion. (Granted, usually a well informed and educated opinion)

The reality of the current market is MUCH different.

I have a challenge to the handful of you who worship at the church of matching numbers:

Here is the challenge: Prove your 20% discount opinion to be correct. Find an actual example of a 67S with a NOM that sells for a 20% discount. To keep everything level lets use the Hagerty pricing guides as the base. Rules: Engine IN the car has to be a 67S motor with all correct 67S bits. Not a 71T motor in a 67S etc as the OPs car.

*Disclaimer, if you are stating that a 67S with a totally wrong motor (not a 67S motor) should sell for a double digit discount I have no reason to believe you are incorrect. With that said I can think of at least 2 sales in the last 24 months of 1967 911 Ses with a non period correct motor that sold for NO discount. I suspect the nature of the market has shifted as these cars have simply disappeared into collections. SWB 911s are extremely rare. SWB 911 Ses have become as rare as unicorn poo. Fun fact, there were more 73 RSes vs 67Ses!

If you are still believing that a 67S with a NOM 67S case sells for a discount...read on...

Here are facts based on real world recent experiences. In today's market a 67S that has a NOM 67S motor installed with all the corrected parts sells for no meaningful discount.
    How do I know this? I tried to buy 3 67ses over the last 18 months. None had matching cases. ALL had correct 67S motors just not the motor the car was born with. I have no room for any more cars and had to pass on all 3. I did forward the leads to others and I know for an actual fact that all 3 sold. In every case the non-matching issue had no meaningful effect on value. To be clear, 2 of the cars were correctly restored and one was needy. In the last 90 days another 67S popped on my radar. It was a near perfect tangerine 67S. I blinked and it sold for over $300k. The new owner reads this site so he may choose to chime in..

The matching numbers myth has ended.

The reality is that if a 67S with a NOM 67S motor appears on this site for sale there are 1000 guys who will buy it. These cars have simply become too rare to attribute anything close to a 20% discount.

There have been many cars discussed with NOM that sell for matching prices. Reference auction and private sales over the last 12 months that prove NO or virtually no discount for a non-original motor. Again, provided the motor in the car is also for a 67s. What I am stated above is not my opinion its real world experience based on real world sales.

Even though there is a vocal minority on this site that insist that there is a 20% discount on NOM I have NEVER seen this. Never, ever. Shit, I wish it were true! I am still lamenting that I delayed on that tangerine 67S.

To the original poster. If you care about value you need to find a 67S motor and the correct carbs, dizzy etc. Not easy. You may want to sell it. A 67S that needs a total restoration will sell for well over $100k. A high end restoration will cost at least $200k. AT LEAST. A word of caution. Watch out for folks talking down your value and then trying to buy the car from you via private messages. Example: I was selling a set of vintage seats on this site. There was a dude who was ripping the seats. Posting that they were fakes etc. All the while he was PM'ing me trying to buy them from me. I figured out that it was the same dude using 2 diff logins. I sold them to another guy who paid me slightly less. I then emailed Mr. Value Basher and let him know why he lost out. He never responded.

Banned
    Louie,
    I hope you're right.

I make my living building 911 engines and I would love nothing more than for your theory to be true.

AND have enough parts to build 3-4 67/68S motors right now.

Theory?

That was my whole point. Its not a theory. That is the market!

(I will wait for someone to post a recently sold 67S that refutes my observations and market experience)

Being 100% transparent the fact that these old fun cars have become blue chip collectibles truly saddens me. Yes, I financially benefit from the values. I am not into cars for the values. My small collection of european cars is where I turn when I need to check out for a bit from reality. The values and the constant pursuit of such has cast a cloud over this once nice little hobby. The heart of soul of this hobby are guys who are not overly well off and Porsches are their passion. The fact that Magnus has become so famous in the Porsche world is a testament to this fact. Old Porsches were for normal guys..old Ferraris were for the other guys. Now those same old Porsche guys have moved into Boxsters. Great cars to be sure just not old long hoods.

Banned
    Ok, semantics. Then add a premium for matching numbers. It's silly to suggest that all things being equal, a matching number car won't bring more money.

BTW: I would like to see more than 3 cars in any survey and some matching number examples included as well.