Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which car would you rather own?

Which car would you rather own?

A guy walks into a bar.....

Oops, wrong story.

Two cars for sale. Both 1967 911. Both coupes, same color, same options, same condition, etc. All in all two extremely similar cars. Nearly identical.

One car is a well cared-for, extremely intact example that, through a mechanical failure, lost its original motor decades ago. The owner sourced another from a similar year and model, in fact only a couple hundred digits away from original. But it is obviously "non-matching".

The other car was completely restored. Rusty rockers, floors, f&r latch panels, fender flares. 70% of the structure was replaced, and not original to the car. The 911SC interior was replaced with period pieces from several cars, though not original to the car. The roll bar was cut-out. The updated suspension was backdated with correct parts, though not original to the car. The roof skin was replaced due to a tinted "Cal Sunroof" install. In fact, one door with the correct stamped vin suffix is the only sheet metal originally matching the engine.
    But it's "numbers matching"

Which would you rather own?
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Gonna answer my e-mails, Mr Ferrin?

We Can Be Heroes

Certainly. Bcferrin@yahoo.com
    707-321-7890
    I have no open PM's

Really??? Thought you were better than this
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Whichever one was cheaper.... and perhaps neither depending on price.

I could care less about matching numbers or even matching correct engine type to year. I could also care less about whether body panels were replaced or not provided that the work done has been done to top quality. The truth is in bone stock factory delivered condition these cars drove like pigs. But with tasteful modifications, lightening and power tweaks they are easily transformed into street legal rocket like go-carts that are more fun to drive than anything else I have ever driven. All this collector car price frenzy crap that is turning them into investments instead of cars is a crying shame but as for me I just don't care and will build what I want to flog as I wish. Engine matching numbers? LOL

My game..saving Porsches FHernand's Avatar
    The numbers matching of course!
    VINTAGE SPORTSCAR RESTORATIONS INC.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    freddie@vsrestorations.com
    (541) 535-3304
    www.facebook.com/VintageSportscarRestorations

I'm taking door #1 I'll take the more intact car anytime. Interesting scenario Brian.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

This should be an easy choice. The first car, of course. Losing the original engine is part of the car's history. It was replaced with the same spec motor and would have no discernable performance change.

Of course, I actually drive my cars (including my dad's number-matching '67 S). Someone looking to flip the car at a speculative auction would probably choose the second car.
    '87 928S4
    '83 944 (sold)
    '67 911S (future heir)
    ------------------------
    '66 Corvair Corsa 140
    '71 Pontiac T-37
    '85 Saab 900 turbo
    '86 Saab 900 turbo
    '89 Saab 900 base
    '91 Saab 900 SPG
    '93 Saab 900 turbo convertible
    '00 Saab 9-5 Aero