Thread: Tail light restoration question

Tail light restoration question

I did a quick search but couldn't find what I was looking for. This question must have been asked before. I have a box of old tail lights I was going to start restoring for some projects and I noticed that the housings are half white and half silver. This must be earlier than I have seen before. I thought it was bad restoration at first, but I have several set exactly the same. What year(s) were they half white/silver? All these units also had side marker bulbs added aftermarket.

TIA
    james

James, all housings started out white, then for reflective rules, the U.S. ones were further silver plated. When the silver wears off you see the white.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

These were all distinctly the same; several sets. THe brake and reverse were silver, and the turn side marker area was white. I know the process they use for the silver (its not actually chrome) requires a special base coat, in this case white. I'll try to remember to text you a pic Ed.

My ROW set were the same when I restored them.

Silver in the brake and reverse section, and white on the indicator section.
    Tony

Yes, I think we have concluded these are euro. Does anybody know what years this split color was used? I think we have verified it up to at least '73.

sounds like euro to me also. save the plastic reflectors, they are different than the US ones.
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

Yes, the side reflectors are different from the US ones.