Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: F model skid plate for plastic tanks

A few years ago I recall seeing a fiberglass "shell" that somehow fit under the plastic tank. Not sure who made it but since I've not seen it since then. Clever looking thing but certainly no match for steel.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Anyone with feedback on the factory skid plate? https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...fe-91134102501

My plastic tank has kissed the ground a few times so I'm hoping this is a good solution.
    Perry

S Registry #326
    58 Glockler Speedster
    62 Roadster
    73 Carrera RS #0049
    95 993 C4 3.8
    14 Cayman

Why does this (911-341-025-01) look just like a steering rack cover with a short forward extension? That hardly looks sufficient to protect the fuel tank. Sierra Madre price about half of Sunset price.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I bet that won’t fit a plastic tank car. I had a custom one for my RS. I tried the original front skid plate from back in the day and the plastic tank is much lower. Zuffenhausen makes them for a plastic tank.

That is the proper steering rack cover for 85l plastic tanks. My Italian 73S came with this. The skid plate is different, it covers the tank. Apples and oranges.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Steve, You are very correct. Post #12 was looking for a skid plate. I never clicked on the link to see the rack cover, which of course is not a skid plate.

Quote Originally Posted by lilacrs View Post
    Anyone with feedback on the factory skid plate? https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...fe-91134102501

My plastic tank has kissed the ground a few times so I'm hoping this is a good solution.

for the 85L tank? no factory solution - it hangs a good 2 inches below all the other factory tanks and is too low for the factory rally plates.
    But I make one - it interfaces with the factory "protection plate" that protects the hoses at the rear.
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

Thanks Rick!
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

Quote Originally Posted by keith View Post
    for the 85L tank? no factory solution - it hangs a good 2 inches below all the other factory tanks and is too low for the factory rally plates.
    But I make one - it interfaces with the factory "protection plate" that protects the hoses at the rear.
    Thanks for the lead, I just emailed you.
    Perry

S Registry #326
    58 Glockler Speedster
    62 Roadster
    73 Carrera RS #0049
    95 993 C4 3.8
    14 Cayman

Here is Keith's plate. It will take a beating because it's steel (Stainless I believe + powder coated). There is an RS tank in this car and it sits really low as Keith mentioned in his post.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111