Thread: 1973.5 911T CIS engine, complete

1973.5 911T CIS engine, complete

This is the original engine from my 1973.5 T. The car now has a 3.2, a sunroof clip and a complete interior and paint color change. I finally am accepting the fact it probably will never go back to stock, so after storing this original engine for almost ten years, it's time to free up the garage space. Here's the story. I am the car's second owner, having bought it from a good friend in 2004. At the time it had a different engine in it, that leaked oil and was well-worn. After a year or two I arranged to buy the original engine long block that the owner had rebuilt in 1985 and stored in his garage. I transferred all sheetmetal, intake, exhaust etc., put it in the car and fired it up. It ran fine but really smoked. We determined it probably was the assembly lube he had used (white lithium grease), and sitting for 20 years. The rings needed to seat properly. At that same time I came across a used 3.2 engine, bought it, rebuilt and installed it. Motor-wise, I'm now a happy camper.

Fast forward 8-9 years: the engine has been sitting with an occasional turn of the pulley, gathering dust. Time to put it to use in someone else's car. The OO and I had a long talk this morning and he recalls that a chain tensioner failed on the road one day, bending a valve or two and breaking a rocker arm. He was service manager at Rexroat Porsche at the time and rebuilt it himself, enlisting two of the experienced mechanics there to help. Everything was checked and measured (engine had about 110,000 miles on it). New rings, valves, guides as needed and some rockers and bushings, along with all the normal rebuild items. Bearings are new but std.

It's a 30-year old rebuild that has been run for five minutes, ten years ago. I would like to say it's plug and play, but some careful checking would be prudent. It's an original 901.101.102.7R case.

What you get: complete engine with intake, exhaust, all engine wiring and connections in good shape. Heat exchangers are very good, but one tubing spot has been welded. Muffler has the tip cut off (I can't remember why) but muffler is very good. Air box has a pop-off valve. Flywheel has some surface rust from sitting. Engine is tight and pretty clean but dusty. Has heavy ribbed lower rocker covers and (of course) hydraulic chain tensioners. I will also include a bunch of parts, like extra intake tubes and seals, new dist cap, points, gaskets, etc. List on request.

$10,000 includes careful crating and transport to local shipping terminal. I can help arrange shipping. More photos / info available on request.

Gordon Maltby

Engine # 6135818
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

My, the times they are a changing. I sold one just like this for $600 14 years ago. Almost had to beg for someone to take it. LOL.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I have sent a PM to owner.

The engine is still for sale and I am open to offers. Please note that I have a bunch of extra parts that will go with it, list to follow.

gmaltby@rpmautobooks.com