Thread: A lesser aircooled. I could not help myself.

A lesser aircooled. I could not help myself.

Ran across this 1979 vw convertible on my way home the other day. It was like a lost puppy on the side of the road. I could not help myself. First VW. Need to make space in the garage next to '66 hot rod. 50,000 miles. Original paint. Slow as can be. But somehow really charming, like a funky moped. I guess I'm doing the reverse VW to Porsche move.

FOT2EF7.jpg

I love it. Gotta get one soon.

Shift Knob Maker
    Planning on building a bug myself. Once my 911 is back on the road, I will be looking for a 64 - 66 bug to redo.
    I think VW's are a somewhat common interest here.

Mark..

Banned
    I like the Coulter frame.

What's the skinny on the car? Was it in Phoenix its whole life? Who knows, we may have worked on it.

A word of caution to those Gung Ho about a Beetle. '75 and newer fuel injected models are not known for their outstanding drivability.

BUT...

the '79's being the last year do seem to be commanding some crazy prices lately. Especially if they're ultra low mileage.
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 04-09-2015 at 04:34 AM.

the '79's being the last year do seem to be commanding some crazy prices lately. Especially if they're ultra low mileage.
    I agree with Frank.... I know '79's (last year) were getting crazy money back in the late '90's into the 2000's... not sure what they're getting now. A friend of mine's brother was pretty flush in the late '70's and bought two. One to drive and the other he put in a box..... not sure what ever came of that zero miles '79....

cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Banned
    There was boutique dealer in Scottsdale back in the mid to late 80's who specialized in brand new and low mileage 79's. Jack Watson Motorcars at 2608 N. Scottsdale Rd.

I think he did more to preserve and promote those cars than any other single individual. I would wager a decent amount that arguably there remains more "zero" mile '79 VW convertibles than any other make/model on the planet.

I'd love to find one of those license plate frames.

'79 was the last year of the made-in-Germany Beetles.

The car was purchased at Chick Iverson in 1980 and spent its entire life in Orange County, until the wife of a University of Montana student brought it here on a flatbed two years ago. Lots of documentation. I'm the third owner. Not sure why it has the Phoenix frame. Appears to be original paint. Lots of oxidation, especially on the hood. No obvious rust, although I'm sure it's there somewhere. Very clean-- 50,000 original miles. New top. Runs great and retains the factory FI. I've only driven it for a few days, but I really enjoy it. It's kind of nice to drive something that's not all that valuable.
    My thought was to keep it through the summer, then pass it on to help pay for Porsche parts. But I'm kinda getting hooked on it. So much so that I'm off to rent garage space, which is suddenly lacking at my place.

Nice purchase Eaton. Myself being a VW guy (and I know there are others who had their roots there as well on here), I love to see another beetle on here. Frank and Chuck are right on with their assessments that the best '79s have been commanding "stupid" money recently (most notably the '79 that sold for 66k at Scottsdale in January. I venture a guess that you will get more people in the next few months telling you stories about their vw or their parents vw than you would ever imagine in the Porsche. It's just one of those iconic pieces of history that everyone has a story to relate.
    Now... we want to see more pictures! And if you ever need parts I have a stash and would be happy to help out any way I can. (albiet I don't have any fuel injected parts)
    Porsche taste on a Volkswagen budget...

Nord Stern Region of PCA....west coast side of Region
    I had a really GREAT '72 Sunflower beetle when we were first married.....

Gas heater with the exhaust going out the right fender

And,

not going back. Quirky not quick

If it's going to be a slow and old car, its going to also be an old Porsche.

Just a whole lot better in every respect
    Best Regards,
    mrgreenjeans
    member # 1503

-'68 -912 Red
    -'74 -914-2.0 litre - Sunflower
    -'82/83 -944 -M404 - Guards Red
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Guards Red -Weissach Prep. -H52
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Zermatt Silver
    -'84 -944 -M404 - Sunroof Delete - Ruby Red
    -'85.2 - 944 -M456 -Zermatt / Sport Purposes
    -'86 -944 -R74 Spt.Touring Pkg - White/Burgandy