Thread: Center bore for 901 series Fuchs?

Center bore for 901 series Fuchs?

Am I right by saying that "Earlies" 901 series Fuchs alloys are lugcentric and do not have to have a true center bore diameter? I have tried to research this online and all I can find is that the later 16" Fuchs have a center bore of 71.6mm but the earlies do not have to have a centering ring to be mounted true. Any help would be great!!!

Porsche wheels and cars were "lug centric" until the end of the 73MY
    In MY74> the cars and wheels went to "hub centric"
    BTW the changeover still didn't help as much as they hoped.
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    Porsche wheels and cars were "lug centric" until the end of the 73MY
    In MY74> the cars and wheels went to "hub centric"
    BTW the changeover still didn't help as much as they hoped.
    H

Thank you, thats what I needed to know.

What is the center bore of the MY74> wheels then?

71.6, same as the 16's. Three prong center caps fit the early wheels which have a smaller bore. Round ring caps fit the later '74> wheels. The main thing to know is that you can put later wheels on an early car but not vice versa.

It's easy to identify the front and rear hubs too by the shape of the flange. You don't want to buy a shiny set of front hubs and find they won't fit with your pre-74 wheels.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

So if I have a later set of wheels on my 1972 T, the center bore is technically too large, but this does not matter because there is no hub-centric feature anyway on 1972 hub, correct?

That is, lug-centric mounting _should_ center the wheel, yes?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by alpenstrasse View Post
    So if I have a later set of wheels on my 1972 T, the center bore is technically too large, but this does not matter because there is no hub-centric feature anyway on 1972 hub, correct?

That is, lug-centric mounting _should_ center the wheel, yes?

Thank you.
    Correct. .
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    Correct. .
    Thank you. Much appreciated.
    Which brings me to next question, does anyone make a front spacer that actually centers up front?
    I recently acquired a '72 which has 964 brakes and 7mm (Rennline) spacers, but the tolerances on the spacer stud holes are, um, generous, as far as centering the spacer -- resulting in predictable slight vibration at speed.