Thread: FS: Webster air compressor, very nice!

FS: Webster air compressor, very nice!

For sale is a Webster air compressor for your space-saver spare tire. I don't know what year it is "correct" for, but early to late '70s 911s with a space-saver had one of these, *I think*. I have seen pictures of these with rubber feet, this one has no indication that there ever were feet on it. I didn't check it for operation, but it appears to have been used very little, if at all. The documentation that comes with it has clearly seen better days, and sadly doesn't have any dates shown anywhere. Please contact me if you have any questions, thanks! $325 shipped in the CONUS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New price: $275 shipped in the CONUS, thanks!

That is a later replacement for the originals, I had one the same as this for years still in its Porsche box that was dated 1978

The early ones had a foil decal where the the big W is and 4 rubber pads on a flat bottom

Still a really nice piece though.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

I'll purchase, email sent
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Phil -
    I have emailed you, thanks!
    - Rob

Clyde -
    Thanks for your wisdom. Do you know when Porsche first supplied a space-saver spare with the Webster compressor, and when the the rubber feet go away?
    - Rob

I do not know about rubber feet or exact dates. As we know Porsche is the home of the running change and regularly used up the parts they had in stock either before or concurrently with the new parts. This resulted in anomalies, usually at the transition for model years. That was the factory. Then the dealers did the same not wanting to be left with old parts.

My '73 S , #310, is ROW and came with an air bottle not a compressor. But the owner's manual shows compressor for the new model autumn 73. I believe that manual is dated sometime in autumn 72. So there is your date. Also factory documents stating changes on models at a certain chassis # would narrow the time frame.

ROW S manuals in 72 clearly show the air bottle as factory correct. Built early in the transition, my car was given a 72 tool kit and the air bottle. Build date 9/72 as a 73 model. What is correct? Who knows at this point. But given the history of the 'use everything' practice, I'm going with air bottle for my car. RS cars also used the air bottle during the same time frame.

The conclusion might be that there are two correct configurations. Often the case. And no hard date. One would be manual correct and the other transition period correct. At least I know how my car was delivered from correspondence with the original owner.

I once owned the second T2 speedster. It had all of the hallmarks of a T1 but for the doors and heat control. Go figure.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Steve -
    Thanks for your wisdom.
    You are correct, the earliest RS cars had the air bottles, but the later ones had the compressor - changeover happened around 1/73, and RS VIN 0328
    - Rob

In addition to running changes ....things did vary by country market specification regarding space savers.

VW-PORSCHE paperwork dated October 1972 that came among my cars files says, in CAPS no less "NOTE: THE 18 1/2 GALLON FUEL TANK IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THE BRITISH MARKET. ALL BRITISH MODELS HAVE THE 13 1/2 GALLON FUEL TANK."

My 12/72 produced RS that is confirmed by both Factory and Porsche Cars GB as being correct to spec and an original British Market car, came to me 23 years' ago with (and still has) its full size 6" wheel with 12/72 stamp and an unused 185 70 15 tyre in the usual tank recess under the front lid. Period UK magazine road tests of UK RS clearly show full size spare.

Hello, still available? thank you