Thread: Sell 71 T targa and buy 993??

Sell 71 T targa and buy 993??

Hi Members,

For reasons to numerous to detail in an e-mail I am thinking of selling (or trading) my 1971 t Targa and buying a 993. I have never driven a 993 but I am driving to Monterey tomorrow where a dealer has 4 in stock; 2 cabs, coupe and targa. I should come away with an idea of whether or not this interests me. For those of you knowledgeable about the 993's I am interested in any issues with the cars or specific models. Also I would like to know if prices are still trending up for the 993 though I am not buying for investment but to drive regularly. Also do you insure one like other old Porsches for stated value with restrictions or just do a regular policy with your other cars? Hagerty posts values up to 1995 but does not cover 993's.

I have had my 71 for 3 years and usually drive it 3-4 times a month. It is running fine but I think i can make more use out of a 993. The car is number matching, straight (color change from burgundy red to red). It is nearly stock except for missing door pockets and the usual speakers in the doors. Very little rust and no evidence of accidents. I just replaced the dash in Jan and it appears to have origonal tan interior. Came with owners manual, maintenance book, jack, tool roll with a few parts. I had a PPI done when I purchased the car and a well known local shop has maintained it for me.I will try to post a number of pics later this week. Car is in Brentwood, CA. I would love to hear your comments.
    al kuresman

Quote Originally Posted by laneranch View Post
    Hi Members,

For reasons to numerous to detail in an e-mail I am thinking of selling (or trading) my 1971 t Targa and buying a 993. I have never driven a 993 but I am driving to Monterey tomorrow where a dealer has 4 in stock; 2 cabs, coupe and targa. I should come away with an idea of whether or not this interests me. For those of you knowledgeable about the 993's I am interested in any issues with the cars or specific models. Also I would like to know if prices are still trending up for the 993 though I am not buying for investment but to drive regularly. Also do you insure one like other old Porsches for stated value with restrictions or just do a regular policy with your other cars? Hagerty posts values up to 1995 but does not cover 993's.

I have had my 71 for 3 years and usually drive it 3-4 times a month. It is running fine but I think i can make more use out of a 993. The car is number matching, straight (color change from burgundy red to red). It is nearly stock except for missing door pockets and the usual speakers in the doors. Very little rust and no evidence of accidents. I just replaced the dash in Jan and it appears to have origonal tan interior. Came with owners manual, maintenance book, jack, tool roll with a few parts. I had a PPI done when I purchased the car and a well known local shop has maintained it for me.I will try to post a number of pics later this week. Car is in Brentwood, CA. I would love to hear your comments.
    al kuresman
    Funny, I have a 993 and I am looking for a early 911, except I am not selling the 993.

If your going to Mohr, be careful, not the best rep. Also it has been very hard to get someone in the Monterey area to do a good PPI on an air cooled Porsche, and Mohr is not going to let you take a car up to Santa Cruz or the valley.

Go here and spend some time, it's by far the most active 933 forum, and has it's usually village idiots as well.

http://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/

As to insurance, I have agreed value with State Farm, the 993 is a mint C4S with 27K miles though. Lots of 993 owners will just have regular insurance.

BTW assume you know FD Motorsports and Darin in Brentwood. Great shop. You might let them know you are looking, they work on a lot of 993's.

Hello Al, the 993 is a great car and a worthy daily driver if you so choose. Not sure if you're after a coupe, targa or cab, however, be aware that first year targa's were 96 and had a few issues and repairs were not inexpensive. There's a fair bit of information available on this subject.

Cabs also had a few issues and there were a few recall notices so research this as well. There were not an abundance of sunroof delete cars and sunroof cars are more plentiful.

The main concern with the 993 is probably the emission issues, look for a 95 with OBDI as opposed to OBDII. One oxygen sensor compared to four meant less CEL. Be sure to have a quality PPI on the car with a shop of your choosing.

The drive block system was another weak spot, do a search on this issue for your own knowledge. There are bypass options available to you.

Hope this helps,
    All the best with your search,
    Mike

Mike,

Thank you for your useful comments. I have been reading posts on Rennlist and have seen comments on the 1995 only OBDI emission. Also in talking to owner of a 96 Targa for sale he told me it had new targa top and tranny which seemed unusual to me for car with 62000 miles. I am thinking of a coupe due to considerable cowl shake in my Targa and I also had a 60 cab for many years before that.
    al

To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Yes, car is in Brentwood CA 94513 in the East Bay area (Contra Costa county ) and not the Brentwood CA in LA.
    al

AL,

I have a different viewpoint on the 993 than most - likely unpopular too. It was the most disappointing 911 I ever owned. Now before the pitchforks come out, I mean disappointing in the same way roasting coffee smells so much better than it tastes... I don't mean it's a bad car, just that it did not live up to my expectations - so go drive one or 3... it's all a matter of personal preference and what you look for in a car at a given time. And I am aware you can modify every one of my issues to make it your own...Just talking stock...

It was by far the prettiest 911 I'd even owned to that point, and I loved watching that car in my garage. Driving it was a bit of a letdown however. I had traded up from an 83 SC and quite frankly, aside from working A/C, it felt exactly like I was still sitting in my SC - appearance wise (some see this a plus, I get that, but for my $ I wanted a little more). I was fixing the same issues, electric window switches, felt on the sunroof, it was almost funny like I got a rounder SC with a bigger motor and better A/C. That was a 96 incidentally, ODB2... It always felt too softly sprung to me (stock shocks in good order), too linear in acceleration (not saying slow, actually deceptively fast, which almost led to many tickets), too quiet (eventually I had the stock exhaust opened up and de-baffled by a rennlist member). Mostly, it felt too GT to *me*. I'm sure with PSS9 shocks, exhaust and some mild tuning it would have been more fun but I was into keeping things stock at the time (still am).

Adding to this, it stuck me at work once for an immobilizer issue (un-needed complexity, I get breakdowns but that was a stupid one), I know the PO had spent >$6000 to deal with carbon buildup issue, the windshield had to have a rubber rope installed to quiet things down as it was floating and squeaking... at the end of the day, it was too "in-between for me" - at the time I still had a 356 and longed for something old + something new, this was a halfway solution... Anyhow, to recap: LOVE how that car looks, esp. with an RS front spoiler. Driving wise, I prefer the long hood for the raw experience, or the modern water pumper for actual speed/performance/sound. Again, not a knock against the car per se, it's all tuneable, just a different experience from a guy who was weak at the knees for the 993 and for whom it didn't work out.

PS: 95s had odb1 meaning no CEL light for coking issues - which makes cars impossible to resell or smog. So 95s are good for resale, but you're ignoring an existing issue either way (secondary air ports coke up). And always carry a spare battery for the stupid immobilizer in your wallet, not in the car ;-) and some relays, god that car loved fan relays... Good luck whatever you decide !

PPS: Good luck finding another long hood when you decide to go back ;-)
    Last edited by Greg D.; 04-27-2015 at 09:52 AM.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002