Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: MY 1970 911E Restoration Project

Tom
    Feel your pain....did exactly the same these past couple of days but I am still mocking up before final fit & paint by the Pros..
    Decided to wait till I get all the seals ( just ordered) and see if I can all to play nice together.
    There are so many adjustments on the rear including the underbody mounts ...all adjustable .
    Good luck with final assembly .
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Cool project and amazing attention to detail!

Cheers

I've seen this car in person and its fantastic.
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

Wow. What amazing work! We have the same car... well, mine is a total basket case, but it’s a Bahia Red coupe, built 2/70, #512, so 193 before yours. The only real difference is, as far as I can tell it was a Euro model. I'll be referring to this thread many times I'm sure.

Any updates?

The project is nearing completion. I finished up the engine build and now all that remains is to mate the engine and transmission and install them in the car. The engine is a 2.5 long stroke using a 2.4/2.7 70.4 mm crank with 86 mm birals, 9.5 CR pistons and ModS cams. The MFI pump was redone to match the engine specs. Looks original but will pack a bigger punch.

One small setback was my discovery (thanks to the experts here) that the underside color for 1970 and 71 was not body color but a grey-beige color. I found an original section of floor pan in my stash and had my paint guy match it. I disassembled most of the suspension, fuel and brake lines and then repainted the floor pan. A pain in the neck going backwards but I wanted to make it right.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Floor redone.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

Tom
    Looks great !
    Impressive that you disassembled to get things right .
    Almost there ...
    frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Since my last posting, working alone in Covid isolation, I have made a lot of progress and the car is almost ready for the first drive. First, I reassembled the underside front and rear of the car after repainting to floor in the correct color. I mated the gearbox and engine and installed the engine/gearbox in the car. Using my Harbor Freight lift table and floor jack made this a pretty easy one man job.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

I had to make a clearance cut in the engine seal for the MFI drive that lined up well once the engine was installed. I connected the throttle linkages following the factory manual and Ed Mayo's detailed instructions to make sure I had fully opened butterflies with the pedal to the stop. I also adjusted the clutch per the factory manual and connected the speedo. I also installed my rebuilt axle/CV assemblies and with my wife seated on the floor of the passenger compartment working the e-brake, I was able to torque all the CV bolts.
    Last edited by tom1394racing; 01-23-2021 at 07:34 AM.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

Next I connected the fuel lines from the injection pump to the filter console and ran the fuel pump to check for fuel leaks. I fixed a few small drips up front at the pump to tank connections and one major geyser at the inlet to the injection pump. Next up I cranked the engine over with the plugs out and the coil wire disconnected to make sure I had oil pressure, checked for fuel leaks downstream of the injection pump and checked for any oil leaks. I had some one small leak in an injector line that needed tightening, good oil pressure and no visible oil leaks. Ready to start.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E