Thread: Reupholstering trim

Reupholstering trim

Can the the knee pads and door tops be recovered (restored)?

I've recovered both the door tops and the knee pads to a very high quality.

For LWB cars, on the door tops, you'll want to make sure you're recovering 69-71 door tops. The 72+ door tops are molded vinyl from the factory and, while it's technically possible to recover over the old vinyl, doing so may result in a very tight fit and issues with your door sealing properly.

I do have a 69. A SoCal referral anyone? I'm developing a crack on the knee pad passenger side and the door top on drivers side so I figure I should do all to incorporate a good match.

If I was going to send them out to someone, I'd do them right and send them to Just Dashes. They did a set of 69-73 knee pads for me that are just beautiful.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harriman View Post
    I do have a 69. A SoCal referral anyone? I'm developing a crack on the knee pad passenger side and the door top on drivers side so I figure I should do all to incorporate a good match.
    I had my '65's whole interior redone at Autos International in Escondido, including the knee pad and door tops. Back then, Tony Garcia managed Autos International. Since then, Tony started his own shop, Autobahn Interiors in San Diego.

Autos International and Autobahn Interiors are considered the go to guys for Porsche interiors, but it's not something that most good upholstery shops can't do well (probably with materials from either Autos International or Autobahn Interiors).
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Tony did my door pockets but it took almost 6 months. I'll call em all and see what's up.

Neither of these parts are difficult to recover. About a two beer job if you go slowly...

If you're not up to the DIY project, either have Autobahn or Autos Intl do them. Alternatively, you could buy the vinyl from Autos and have a local shop do the installation. Downtime without pads would be days, not weeks!
    Cheers,

Ron

1961 356 Roadster Outlaw
    1969 911E ROW Coupe ‘Orangina’
    1968 911 SWT Burgundy Red project