Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Van vs. Ford vs. Dodge up to 1985 which one to choose

Chevy Van vs. Ford vs. Dodge up to 1985 which one to choose

Hi, I know that this topic is a bit odd here.
    But being located in Germany and not at all connected to the US-Car scene over here I thought it might be a well placed question to post here with the majority of contributors being in the US.

I an in the process of purchasing a new home and as always there is some work to be done.
    To transport this and that I'd like to buy a kind of US-Van (or better said panelvan) with a build date pre 1985.
    Having no preference in any of these makes can someone give ma a hint what to choose?
    Main issues are serviceability sturdiness and simpleness.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers

Uli

Question is obsolete bought today a 1978 firefighter VW LT with 19.500 kms.
    A bit more grunt would be good - perhaps fiddeling with some 924 parts might be the way to go.

010.jpg

That is cool! What motor does it use?

Chevy Astro-Van in 4wd if you have snow

Quote Originally Posted by NTW View Post
    That is cool! What motor does it use?
    It is a 2ltr straight 4 which basically was also used in Audi 100, Porsche 924 and also some AMC but in all the other applications it's mounted at an angle and has different setup giving more HP.

Cheers

Uli

Uli,
    Beats any old US van. Very nice!

Can you post a picture with the back door open?

Quote Originally Posted by NTW View Post
    Can you post a picture with the back door open?
    Here we go
    007.jpg

Nice van! Although to me the 4-cyl makes it a bit challenged to me, as they were also built/sold with a sweet Perkins 2.4 straight six. Both diesel and petrol...

Most ex-firetrucks seem to be petrol powered, as they warmed up quicker and small diesels were slow back then.

It's a petrol engine. I spoke to a guy at the parts counter of a VW dealership yesterday, he said that the perkins diesel was reponsible for a lot of witnessed burndowns of houses (if they wer in a firefighters van).