Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted information about 901 factory car S-TS 333 registered in germany in 1964 ?

Wanted information about 901 factory car S-TS 333 registered in germany in 1964 ?

Jerry SLONIGER tested this pre-serie car in CAR magazine in march 1965 :" ... our car was chassis number five, literaly wrested from the hot hands of racing manager Hushke Von Hanstein when he came to work one morning.
    In the SPA 24 hours 1969 HERRMANN ans SCHULLER drove a 911 car with the same plate S-TS 333.

Might be worth it to find the original issue, wondering what is pictured....

Is this where you found the text? http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-new...r-porsche-911/

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

300005 had german plate S-UN 764 and was the original Road&Track test car (issue March 1965 - i have it)
    I know because I first suggested this to its owner and it later got confirmed by the factory.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 05-05-2015 at 09:54 AM.
    Registry member No.773

Quote Originally Posted by fap901 View Post
    ... our car was chassis number five, literaly wrested from the hot hands of racing manager Hushke Von Hanstein when he came to work one morning.
    Or are you talking about a 901 w 13xxx VIN ?
    As its no common knowledge VIN 13325 was built in August 1963 at Karmann, color yellow.
    Received a license plate at the beginning of 1964, the factory record say its plate were S-TC 1.
    The car was then off the road in September 1965.
    (BTW factory plates S-TC-x were often reused !)

It was the first "show car" as well as press car.
    Shown at IAA Frankfurt 1963, Paris show 1963, London show 1963, Turin show 1964, Geneva show 1964.

Recieved first a engine mock-up and later a 901 engine (engine number 11)
    Received several transmission case. Cockpit and steering wheel of a 356 (!), Webasto and later replaced by air-con.

The factory records it was destroyed on December 7, 1965.

This is 13325:
    Registry member No.773

Plate number in article photo

[QUOTE= ....same plate S-TS 333.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a better shot of the original plate number? What date did the test drive take place? Where did HERRMANN and SCHULLER buy the car? Can you get and original pic of the magazine?

Jay
    300 005
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jay
    hermann and and schuller were Werks drivers at the time. I would have thought that they would be driving a factory entered or loaned car at Spa and would not have owned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsottile View Post
    Do you have a better shot of the original plate number? What date did the test drive take place? Where did HERRMANN and SCHULLER buy the car? Can you get and original pic of the magazine?

Jay
    300 005
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Hi fap901,

After reading the text of the article, (if the transcription is correct) the car that was test drove by this journalist was definitely not #300 005. So which car was it? Not sure. What is certain is the journalist misread the build number. I also agree with 911T1971's disposition of 13325.

Good luck and All the best,

Jay
    #300 005

Jay
    i just checked the Spa results for 1969 and it was Edgar Herrmann (from Kenya) and Hermann Schuller who drove that car and it was entered by Edgar Herrmann rather than Hans Herrmann who was the werks driver so it looks like that was a private car not a factory car.

That said he did have good access to "ex werks" cars and I suspect factory "support". The car he used for the 1968 safari was UL-Y 826 (11820427) used originally in the 1967 Acropolis rally, then the 1967 Spa 24 hours, then the Marathon de la Route, and after he had it in Africa, it was used by Hermann and Schuller as car 55 for the 1968 London Sydney marathon
    The car he had at Spa in 1968, again with Schuller, was S ZP 740, (308101S) originally going to be Elford's car for the 1967 RAC rally that was cancelled and then used at Le Mans in 1967 as car #43.

Based on that I would doubt if the car he had at Spa in 1969 was a very early car. I would have thought it was much more likley to be a relatively new car at the time and perhaps one that had already some some service as a competition car for a werks team.

Therefore if the road and track article was using a car with those plates in 1965 i would suspect that the plates were reused on the car at Spa rather than it being the same car. (although reading Karim's post above he is saying that the R&T car was S-UN 764)
    Last edited by HughH; 10-11-2016 at 04:46 AM. Reason: correct a mistake
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776