Thread: Seat Restoration - black corduroy

Seat Restoration - black corduroy

As part of restoring my 67S I am trying as much as possible to keep as much patina to the interior of the car as possible. this is difficult when your starting point is a car which has had the majority of the interior removed by the last owner, but my aim is to have an interior which looks in line with the age of the car rather than an over restored brand new interior.

I have sourced a set of period 67 sports seats, one of which has its original trim still in place the other needs a complete retrim. I am looking to use black corduroy for the inserts of both seats, the challenge I have is that the side bolsters of the one intact seat is perfect perforated vinyl which I will definitely be retaining, the last thing I want to use is brand new corduroy as I think this will stand out from 50 yr old perforated side bolsters, Ideally I would like to use faded worn corduroy which on some of the older seats I have seen has turned almost brown in colour.

what I am looking for is old corduroy material which someone may have removed from a set of Ricaro seats when being refurbed with new material. I am looking for sufficient material to cover the inserts of two sports seats. alternatively if anyone has any new material which may have been sitting around for a fair few yrs that may also be a good starting point for my project.

I have attached a picture of the sports recaro seat showing the nice perforated vinyl side bolsters and the existing faded corduroy inserts, which in places is ripped and needs replacing.

I have tried to replicate the look in the pictures attached by trying to age new black corduroy material, bleaching and washing has not worked to date, I think leaving the material in direct sun light for several months would to an extent fade the material, but getting the worn look would only come with years of sitting and driving a car.

Long shot but if you can help get in touch

Name:  68 recaro 3.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  35.9 KBName:  68 recaro 4.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  43.7 KB

Thanks
    Mark

member #1515
    spray the new corduroy with fabreze and set it in the sun, won't take long.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Get some 100% cotton corduroy and run it through a washing machine a few times. It will age like a pair of jeans. Add bleach if necessary.

36 year PCA member
    I do have a pair of black corduroy seats from 66/67 911/912 that are original. Do you need the chrome pivots/hinges also?
    Steve

Thanks for the replies, I have tried putting through the washing machine which has slightly faded the material, however it has resulted in the grain of the corduroy becoming almost fluffy in appearance.
    Also tried bleaching the material with different concentrations of bleach which turns the material a tan colour.