Thread: In period brakes and sway bars rally modifications 911 2.2 E

In period brakes and sway bars rally modifications 911 2.2 E

Hi,

I intend to enter my 1970 2.2 E in the "Tour de Corse historique" in October. For that I had to request an FIA technical passport even though i will only run in the VHRS regularity section of the rally.

My car having been modified with front 3.2 drilled discs and calipers, I need to change that back to in period brakes. I will also need to take off the ajsutable 19mm sway bars i put on it. Not in period either.....

With Bilstein sports and the 19mm bars my cars handles really well and the stopping power from the 3.2 brakes is great (track tested).

I am looking for advice for the best combination to put on the car that would have been used in competition / rally in the early 70s.....and have a good performance package.

My questions:

Did Porsche ever used adjustable sway bars back then or was the 15mm / 16 mm bars the only one used?

Are the S aluminium brake calipers the only upgrades I can have "in period"?

Looking at the "sport purpose" booklets of 68 and 72, the above would seem to be the upper limits of the acceptable.

Any experience or suggestions ar welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Philippe

S calipers will have the same stopping power, you'll have a lighter rotor which is better for handling and acceleration but needs more cooling if you are really punishing them which you won't be.

917 brakes appeared in 1971 I believe so you might be able to use 930 calipers/discs if you wanted.

Don't know about the sway bars. You could always up the torsion bar rates to compensate for the different bars.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Thank you Flieger

I did not know 930 calipers and discs were virtually the same as the 917 ones. I will dig further on that.

Philippe