Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: @bat - 1972 t

FS: @bat - 1972 t

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-porsche-911t/

no affiliation but some nice photography to show the car...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Vin# is 20 digits off from my car. I am also in the Bay Area. Our cars must have come over on the same boat

I'm torn between hoping the new owner drives it hard and often as-is, and hoping they return it to its stock configuration with non-metallic emerald green paint.

1972_Porsche_911T_Emerald_Green_Sportomatic_Sunroof_Rear_1.jpg

-Scott

IMO This car HAS to go back to Emerald Green

Withdrawn from BAT after a scathing review of condition and (coincidentally?) "title problems" arose immediately thereafter.
    It was at $62K which is a lot given the condition described in the comments - and factoring a repaint... easily a $85-90K car with issues fixed if the auction had continued. I'm not sure 72Ts are at that level yet, but if so, let me know and I'll sell mine ;-)
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Yeah I just read all of the comments front to back. Pretty interesting read. BAT put my 911 on their site when it was for sale and it got torn to shreds. I didn't pay them to, they just posted it. It deserved pretty much everything they said but I never tried hiding anything. If anything I said way too much about all the negative because I am not a lipstick on a pig kind of guy. I ended up fixing a lot of what was wrong with it before it sold, front pan, motor gone through, etc. I want someone driving away after the sale to know what they bought is what was advertised and that they felt happy with what they paid for. I ended up getting the price I wanted through Paul at Autokennel minus his fee which I gladly paid, he really made the entire transaction very seamless and everyone seemed happy in the end. The Vintage Porsche crowd is a tough crowd and rightly so. I think 90% of the people on here really mean well and want to help others out when purchasing one of these cars. I wish to this day I had joined this site prior to purchasing mine. Like a lot of people I thought you had to own a Porsche first, and not only that an "S" model before you were allowed in. Even seeing the cars in person, emotions can get the better of you and your eyes will deceive you on what you are looking at. Even when you know where to look sometimes. I'm guilty of that too. Areas on say BMW's that are bad, don't always translate to bad areas on Porsche and vise/versa. So, maybe BAT didn't quite know these cars like some of you so and pulled it after realizing what that one guy that drove it said was true. They seem to be a very knowledgeable group of guys/gals and truly do give me the feeling they want to uphold their integrity. Pulling the ad was the right thing to do in my opinion. Re-list it maybe with the help of one of you. Just be up front and honest. Whether it was due to the title or the scathing commentary, only they will know that for sure. It is their site's reputation after all that is at hand. One car isn't worth losing the farm on. That is a very popular site and I think they do a fabulous job finding very unique and interesting cars/trucks/bikes. Interesting to see the back and forth from them and "us" so to speak. You don't see that every day on their site, they have not sold too many "personal" cars before and this probably will be the last unless it is a complete cream puff, but then they probably wouldn't want to sell a complete cream puff anyways. Anyhow, good read.

For reference . . .

VIN = 9112100270
    Eng# = 6120496
    Trans# = 7320041

(Not mine)
    Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

That's my old car. Sold it 18 months ago and missed the bubble! Then the flipper circus began. I bought it non running in relatively poor condition. It had been parked outside and neglected for years, yet the body was solid and it still had the MFI system. With knowledgable friends and connections to parts we where able to bring it to current level. It required lots of money (even at buddy rate) as engine was split down to the crank, transmission rebuilt and MFI pump sent to Mark Jung for overhaul. My goal was to build a great driver. Sure, returning back to Emerald would be awesome but cost on that particular car would be high. It is such a great driver but once you paint you start a never ending stream of money for interior, lenses, knobs and seals. Everything that is presentable as it is would just look terrible with new paint. I was the third owner and the second owner was responsible for the 80's red color change after hitting a deer.
    All I can say that this car is a very good, fun and reliable driver. Work was done by some very well known NE Porsche mechanics and their work was first class. However, this was not an open checkbook deal. Car has some small areas of rust but nothing like the junk sold on eBay. When I sold vehicle on Pelican parts it came with all original books, service booklet, manual and paper work from Prey Porsche. It also had a proper steel bumper, an inch thick folder of receipts, pictures of restauration and the original tool kit. I guess one of the flippers snagged that and the 74 sport seat.
    1972 911T 80's red BUT Viper Green again some day.
    1986 911 Cab
    1972 911T Leaf Green. WHY did I sell it!

The person who left the scathing review is a SoCal enthusiast/friend of mine. I've sold two of his cars and he is a pretty detailed guy. He went up there in person to look at the car and knows what to look for. I think, for that price, he was hoping to have less body issues to deal with. He said that BaT removed the ad within 15 minutes of his review. However, when he was there in person, they told him nothing of the title issues...so he really isn't sure what's happening there.

I do think it was good of BaT to allow the negative comments. Hopefully they will sort things out a bit and bring the car to the next level.

PS Thanks Shane for the props.

1966 BMW 1600 (one of first in U.S.)
    1967 VW Beetle Sedan (Honeymoon car)
    1984 Porsche 928S (Hindenburg)
    1986/1973 Backdated 911 Coupe (R Gruppe/La Tortuga)
    1987 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo
    1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    1999 BMW M Coupe (Race soon to be Rally)
    2003 Jaguar S-Type R Supercharged (family hauler/rain car)
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3
    2005 Chevy Express 16-passenger van (for hauling everything else)

http://www.autokennel.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-HB View Post
    The person who left the scathing review is a SoCal enthusiast/friend of mine. I've sold two of his cars and he is a pretty detailed guy. He went up there in person to look at the car and knows what to look for. I think, for that price, he was hoping to have less body issues to deal with. He said that BaT removed the ad within 15 minutes of his review. However, when he was there in person, they told him nothing of the title issues...so he really isn't sure what's happening there.

I do think it was good of BaT to allow the negative comments. Hopefully they will sort things out a bit and bring the car to the next level.
    Yes, actually it was great all around. I enjoyed the build up, the in-person review let down, BAT's retraction, though the title thing *is* weird... Very interesting. I was really curious to see what that car ended up at because it looks a lot like my own 72 (minus cibies) except mine has fresh paint and no rust... It would have had a great barometer for my next Hagerty valuation ;-)
    Goes to show you digital pics and studio don't tell the whole picture...
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002