Thread: Seat opinion needed

Seat opinion needed

I have a 1970 911T that the previous owner made it into a RS Clone. I am de-cloning it and going the hot rod route. It currently has Recaro seats in it (see photo). I am thinking about having Tony at Autobahn reupholster them. Any recommendations on material. Perforated, smooth?. Maybe houndstooth center. Are these period correct for a '70 or at least close enough? Another option would be to sell them and get ST style seats. Open for suggestions. THANKS!

Name:  IMG_0216.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  75.1 KB
    Kevin
    Early 911S Registry Member Number 3210

1960 356B
    1970 911T
    1985 Mercedes Benz 280TE

the best material for comfort is cloth because it breathes well; leather is next, and worst is vinyl

vinyl wears best but I hate it; leather is fine for moderate temperatures and looks best, also easy to clean

I think these are the most comfortable seat you could have in an early 911. I have them in my '69E and I do 1000+ mile days and feel great getting out of the car at the end of the day. My recommendation would be for something as close as you can get to the original Recaro cloth. It is tough, holds you in place, and comfortable.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

member #1515
    I have those seats too, and agree with Bob, they are very supportive and comfortable. I had Tony do them in leather with perforated centers after the original cloth wore out. He can do them anyway you want. What is your exterior color?
    I went boring black, but regret not doing something more creative.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Best seats ever. I've got them in my 72 in leather.

Lots of good reviews of the seats. Thanks to all!! Looks like I should keep them! Here is a picture of my car as it is now...except the trunk lid is closed

Name:  IMG_0102.JPG
Views: 131
Size:  574.6 KB

This is the look I am going for. Saw this car in March in SoCal at John Willhoit's Open House. I have hinged rear quarter windows to put in and another set of Fuchs to use. Not going with the fog lights though they look fine.

Name:  FullSizeRender-2.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  85.9 KB
    Last edited by Marken; 05-16-2015 at 06:56 PM.
    Kevin

1960 356B
    1970 911T
    1985 Mercedes Benz 280TE

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    I have those seats too, and agree with Bob, they are very supportive and comfortable. I had Tony do them in leather with perforated centers after the original cloth wore out. He can do them anyway you want. What is your exterior color?
    I went boring black, but regret not doing something more creative.
    Thanks for the info. The exterior of my car is white.
    Kevin

1960 356B
    1970 911T
    1985 Mercedes Benz 280TE