Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help in identifying this car needed

Help in identifying this car needed

A good friend of mine has bought a 911 a while back and asked me to post his questions, so here we go.

"My latest "problem" is a car that I bought one and half months ago. I got it to our garage yesterday and started to evaluate it. It has a rough history, has had a lot of owners, accidents and been “modernized” with impact bumpers and Turbo flares. Its identity is also totally different from reality. According to papers it is a '66 911, chassis number is from '67 912 and 99% of the body is '73 911. After taking a look under the carpets, it is clear that it has a racing history. Previously had a roll cage and some extra switches etc. in the dash. Then there is a strengthening plate in the end of the center tunnel /back bone:

Is this just a RS feature or was there also a sport pack or something for S-model with this center tunnel modification? I’m sure that this is installed directly in the factory:
    Name:  AT1.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  142.7 KB

Name:  AT2.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  145.5 KB

Car's colour is also very interesting. Badge says 114 (signal yellow), but it was painted straight on that with bahama yellow. Again, very clean work, could have come straight out from the factory like that.

Name:  AT5.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  85.5 KB

Then some other pictures from the car, looks like it says 0408, but it's a bit difficult to have a good image of it.

Name:  AT3.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  100.7 KB

Name:  AT4.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  82.6 KB

Are there any other features that can clarify, whether the car is a S or RS? Some other "secret" numbers somewhere in the body (the one under the radio has also been cut off).

Many thanks in advance,
    Timo

"There's no point living if you can't feel alive"
    - a few 911s & some others
    Early 911S Registry #3206

Quote Originally Posted by 993TT View Post
    . . . Some other "secret" numbers somewhere in the body (the one under the radio has also been cut off) . . .
    . . . . . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Is the chassis number found under hood just in front of Smuggles's Box? If you find same chassis number anywhere else it might be a 912.

""Car's colour is also very interesting. Badge says 114 (signal yellow), but it was painted straight on that with bahama yellow. Again, very clean work, could have come straight out from the factory like that.""

Oh yeah......this thing is factory all the way!
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    You've given minimal information and LWB cars are not my expertise, but I can point out a few things:

• The paint color tag is '72 or later. Is it supposed to have the chassis number/VIN in the lower box?
    • The tiny lights in the foglight switches show that they are from an early car (1968 or earlier)
    • The ventilation control on the panel is 1969 or later.

I might wonder if the car has SWB front suspension parts, but it sure looks like most of it doesn't match a 1967 912 chassis number.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post
    You've given minimal information and LWB cars are not my expertise, but I can point out a few things:

• The paint color tag is '72 or later. Is it supposed to have the chassis number/VIN in the lower box?
    • The tiny lights in the foglight switches show that they are from an early car (1968 or earlier)
    • The ventilation control on the panel is 1969 or later.

I might wonder if the car has SWB front suspension parts, but it sure looks like most of it doesn't match a 1967 912 chassis number.
    I thought that tag was 69-on with the exception of the Karmen built cars and the short run in 70 that had the stick on decal rather than the riveted plate.

Also, all of the switches have light rods like that. 68-73 just have the rubber surround over the top of the hard knob along with the symbol insert. Take a rubber knobbed switch and cut the rubber surround off and that's what they look like. Red, yellow and green tipped light rods. The exception being the early hazard switches which have a unique light rod.

I do agree though, not enough info given to make any determinations.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    I thought that tag was 69-on with the exception of the Karmen built cars and the short run in 70 that had the stick on decal rather than the riveted plate.

Also, all of the switches have light rods like that. 68-73 just have the rubber surround over the top of the hard knob along with the symbol insert. Take a rubber knobbed switch and cut the rubber surround off and that's what they look like. Red, yellow and green tipped light rods. The exception being the early hazard switches which have a unique light rod.

I do agree though, not enough info given to make any determinations.
    I was going by Brett Johnson's The 911 & 912 Porsche, A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity (first edition, page 91). It's actually the format for the paint code that he gives as starting in 1972.

I may well be wrong about the switches--I've never worked on a long-wheelbase 911. For that matter, my 911 doesn't even have a hazard light switch.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Need more info and lots of photos...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Definitely a Frankenporsche.

Ok, I probably have given too much (or too little) info on this car. My friend's main question was the one relating to pics 1 and 2. Does anyone know which cars used this tunnel modification from the factory.

Can be seen in pics 1 and 2: "Then there is a strengthening plate in the end of the center tunnel"

Car itself is definately a Frankenporsche. Chassis plate can visibly be identified as being cut from an early 912, some parts are from other models and most of the body is definately from -73. His main concern currently is this plate welded to the end of the center tunnel, does anyone know which models in 1973 had this modification?

Thanks again,
    Timo

"There's no point living if you can't feel alive"
    - a few 911s & some others
    Early 911S Registry #3206