Thread: Order in the House .. or in the bumpers anyway

Order in the House .. or in the bumpers anyway

I have spent a frustrating couple of days re-assembling the doors on my 71 911 and what is clear is that with everything Porsche, there is a very specific order of assembly. I think I had to assemble and dis-assemble the door’s components about 5 times before I worked out the absolute critical order of assembly.
    For example, mount the door locks out of sequence and it becomes near impossible to fit the lock rod grommets. Very little of this is logical….. at the first or second attempt.

So may I please seek some advance warning on the correct sequence for assembling and mounting the front and rear bumpers and the rear licence plate panel?
    By the looks of it, the trim pieces, rubber inserts and seals needs to be mounted on the bumpers off the car, as access looks like it will be limited once in situ.
    I have chrome/ over riders. Do they go one before or after mounting. What is theLicence plate panel bolt up order?
    I’ve already made the error of mounting the rear lights, which now need to come off again, to get access to the rear bumper mounting bolts. So any advice would be hugely appreciated, as I am terrified of scratching something if I have to do it 3, 4 or 5 times.

Finally, the new rubber inserts for front and rear bumpers came from Sierra Madre in two pieces. The “nose” section with molded inserts and the extruded rubber section. I assume these must be glued together prior to assembly, but the end profiled are not identical, leaving a slight step between the two pieces. Is there method of sanding this down flat so the joint becomes invisible?

Many advice greatly appreciated.

Name:  Deco Trim copy.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  17.2 KB

I can't think of any reason to remove the rear lights to access the bumper mount bolts? All trim is mounted to bumpers before installation of the bumpers. That trim you show is aftermarket, the factory stuff is already glued and the mating points are matched. I guess you'll have to do that manually with sanding. If you're speaking of the front over-riders they can go on before or after mounting bumper, if done afterwards there are access holes in the front bulkhead for bolt access. Bolt up rear bumpers and align/shim to get even compression of bumper /body seal. This is done after lights are in. Install the rubber trim to he license panel as you install the panel because you kinda have to press the panel against the body or the rubber wants to fall off. Install the bumper over-riders against the license panel (be sure to have the deco piece under the over-rider first) and install top bolts through over-rider. Then bolt bottom of license panel to bumper (usually done before engine install for easier access.) not forgetting the shim washers between the two. Then install rubber seal into channel on top of license panel and trim edges to match body. Don't forget ground wires that go under rearmost bumper mount bolts. Be sure to run a tap in all threaded holes and a die over all bolts first. This more or less assumes that all parts were checked for fit before painting.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Fabulous information. Exactly what I needed.
    Many thanks for your generosity
    Jeff