Thread: Fix for hf vibrating tumblers

Fix for HF vibrating tumblers

I'm sure there are quite a few of you out there that have the 5lb Harbor Freight vibrating tumblers. They do a great job of cleaning old bolts and nuts, and small metal parts that you take off of your cars. They can also be used for polishing with a different media.
    When I bought mine, the first thing that struck me was how loud it was, so loud that I would cover it with a cardboard box and then put a blanket over it. When I turned it on, the bowl would rotate and unscrew the nut on top, so I ended up double nutting it to keep the top on. This was a PITA, and the nut would get so hot it was hard to handle when I took it off. I figured out that the bowl was not supposed to spin, and this is how I fixed it.
    First thing is to remove the bowl. Remove the 10mm bolt at the bottom of the bowl and remove the metal and rubber washer, then the bowl. There you will find another washer and a sleeve on the shaft.

Name:  028.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  85.6 KB

Remove the sleeve and shorten it slightly with a grinder, probably no more than 1/16". Make sure the bolt at the base is snug and put the sleeve back on the shaft and the washer on top of it.

Name:  029.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  93.9 KB

Replace the bowl, the rubber washer, the metal washer and either double nut or self locking 10mm nut on top. Then thread a self locking nut and fender washer down the shaft to hold the bottom of the cover.

Name:  030.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  93.7 KB

Now put the top back on and adjust the locking nut under the cover so the cover is slightly bowed down when you fasten the cover with the washers and nut. The top should be held tightly sandwiched between the top and bottom bolts.

Name:  031.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  107.0 KB

When I turned the unit on, I could not believe how quiet it was now. For some reason the bowl was like a big speaker when it was loose on the shaft and spinning, but when it was fastened down, it was quiet as a mouse (well, not quite).
    Last edited by SIMI BOB; 06-02-2015 at 03:09 PM.

Very interesting. Your links didn't connect. Thanks for posting this. Timely.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709