Thread: Fuchs 8J x 15, 5.73

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

Fuchs 8J x 15, 5.73

Dear all,

I want to move this early (5.73 stamped) 8J x 15’’ Fuchs wheel that has a bit of history. I bought it approx. 8 years ago and got Harvey Weidman to do a complete refurbishment back to its original appearance. It came out perfect. I had it under the RS until May 2013 when two cracks appeared while driving on the circuit de Guix in France. After removal of the tire, the wheel was sent to well-known Fuchs restorer in the UK, he welded the cracks and the wheel was again completely re-done. On the back side the welds are pretty clear to see and if you look very carefully you see that the anodizing on the weld is little different than the rest of the wheel. I was told not to use this wheel for very sportive driving so I don’t want to take the risk that it starts to crack again. For a show car, and/or for normal street driving it should be still ok. See pictures for the details. As you can imagine I already have a lot of money in this wheel but I never going to use it so I rather sell it, asking price $1750,-

Kind regards,

Cees
    Attached Images Attached Images

2nd 5.73 dated 8J x 15

I have another 5.73 dated wheel but this one came out not so nice. On the outer lip some pin holes and improper welding came at surface. Plus some bonehead had in the past enlarged the hub to 70mm and this has been rectified. Still a very presentable wheel and would make a nice pair for the proper car. Selling this one for
    $1000,-. Forgot to take detailed pictures of the rear, including date stamp.

Kind regards,

Cees
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Yikes!

Cees, in all fairness "normal street driving" could subject the wheel to the same stresses as track driving.

If you are not confident in the repair why would a buyer be? If you are strictly selling as a "show and display" wheel are you open for offers?

Hi Frank,

My track driving is very different than street driving so doubt it will see the same stress level but sure I can't guarantee the strength of the repair, but I am confident the repair has been done proper. As already mentioned in older threads, most of the old 7 and 8's have had a hard life, plenty that were raced and even wheels that have not been repaired, welded etc can crack anytime after 40 odd years. You just never know. It's up to the buyer what he wants to do with them, hang them on the wall, make a BBQ out of them, anything. Sure I am open to offers if there are no takers at this price level.

Take care, Cees

BTW, I am going back to 6 and 7's on the RS...

I can not understand why someone invest hours and hours into refurbishing completely damaged wheels.
    They are nice hose holsers... Nothing more...