Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are these paint marks on CV joint?

What are these paint marks on CV joint?

I'm re-greasing my CV joints and replacing the gaskets, boot clamps etc. and it's time for reassembly. I saw these paint marks on all 4 of my CV joints but can't figure out what they are. I'm just trying to confirm if they're some sort of alignment mark and if so how to line them up. I did not mark the CV joints in terms of where they went with regards to the flanges but did mark their location L/R and inner/outer so they went back where they came from. I could not see these paint marks until after I'd cleaned the grease off of them so I wasn't able to figure out if the were lined up some how. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance,

Stretch

Name:  CV 2.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  78.8 KB
    Name:  CV 1.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  77.3 KB
    Registry # 3063

I'm guessing they told someone where the pins were to help with reassembly, though they seem oddly placed.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

I'm doing the same rebuild as we speak. Mine do not have any type of paint markings on them. I'm interested to know, what year are these from? I was under the assumption that there was no small clamp ring on the boots, only the large inner ones. I thought that the small end of the boot just rode in the grove. As far as the paint markings go, all types of technicians will use paint marks for differing reasons. There often is not a lot of uniformity with paint marks between different technicians, both at the factory, and with non factory mechanics. It's sort of their own internal code.
    1969 911 E #824

Some mechanics leave the small clamp off. The thought is the boot is more likely to tear if clamped on both ends.

My car is a '71T coupe with about 90K miles on it. I'm pretty sure the CV joints are original although I can't confirm it. If they are original then I would think the paint marks were applied at the factory during assembly.

With regards to the clamps, when I pulled my axles off there were only large boot clamps on there. Looking at PET it appears the factory installed both an inner and outer clamp so I did the same.

Stretch
    Registry # 3063

interesting...Thanks for the reply. When I looked in PET, I did not see a part image, nor part number for an inner clamp for 69-71. I can't imagine it makes much difference, just always trying to learn...Thanks again..
    1969 911 E #824

The early Lobro's didn't have a clamp on the inside, but most people fit one, or atleast a plastic zip tie.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by classic View Post
    The early Lobro's didn't have a clamp on the inside, but most people fit one, or atleast a plastic zip tie.
    Actually, according to the factory parts manuals, they did:

Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

I stand corrected Brian, I just check the parts manual and you are correct
    Tony

Interesting. I show it in my factory parts book, but not in PET. Can anyone definitively say that one is needed from a technical or mechanical standpoint? Some here have suggested that a clamp on the inner position may increase tearing of the boot. As many miles that most of these cars cover today, I'm sure it's not really all that important.
    1969 911 E #824