Thread: Questions for the Experts

Questions for the Experts

Went to my first cars and coffee yesterday and have some questions for the experts based on what I was seeing on several other early cars ('68-72).

I have seen both chrome and black windshield washer nozzles (the ones mounted on the hood). When if ever did the nozzle change from chrome to black or is this a US/Euro thing?

What does the vent window latch look like and how did it change between '65 and '73. I have seen all chrome as well as black/chrome mix. I understand that the vent window could only be opened on the '65-67 coupes (then became fixed) but the Targas remained such that they could be opened until at least '72.

So many little changes over the years. Thanks for any assistance.
    Member #2666

Get Brett Johnsons: The 911 & 912 PORSCHE ( A Restorers Guide to Authenticity ) ISBN 0-929758-00-5. It will definitely get you started in the right direction & really a must have. Some say it is not perfect & probably true. A lot of newer knowledge has come about since 1988 when it first went into print.....Mine is worn and tattered and sits always on my computer desk; never on the shelf......cliff

afaik, the nozzles were always black thru 73. 65 thru 68 vent window latches were chrome, ( 68`s were another details with rubber covers on the vent handle & aluminum frames ) pre 68 were brass chromed. 69 forward were none-opening i.e. fixed and made of aluminum. & Targa parts are different, (I think.) & non interchangeable with the coupe..Again consult your new book when you get it and there might still be other opinions as well....I do not own a Targa
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Get Brett Johnsons: The 911 & 912 PORSCHE ( A Restorers Guide to Authenticity ) ISBN 0-929758-00-5. It will definitely get you started in the right direction & really a must have. Some say it is not perfect & probably true. A lot of newer knowledge has come about since 1988 when it first went into print.....Mine is worn and tattered and sits always on my computer desk; never on the shelf......cliff

afaik, the nozzles were always black thru 73. 65 thru 68 vent window latches were chrome, ( 68`s were another details with rubber covers on the vent handle & aluminum frames ) pre 68 were brass chromed. 69 forward were none-opening i.e. fixed and made of aluminum. & Targa parts are different, (I think.) & non interchangeable with the coupe..Again consult your new book when you get it and there might still be other opinions as well....I do not own a Targa
    The waters on my '67 S are chrome. AFAIK, the black trim came about in the early-mid '70s.

The nozzles were black with a bright metal cover separately installed.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks for the responses. I have a '70T with black nozzles. From what Ed is saying they should have the metal covers. Are these even available?

My vent windows have chrome levers with some rubber covering (Targa). I was told these are for an earlier car but don't know for sure. Any other '70 Targa's out there that are unmolested and can fill us in?
    Member #2666

I got my chrome covers at Pelican with the new washer nozzle and check valve.
    The old rubber was junk anyway....not to mention the valve.
    H

It was a D.O.T. thing, my 71 Targa has them.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.