Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June '15 Canepa Cars & Coffee

June '15 Canepa Cars & Coffee

Went to the first Canepa C & C of 2015 back in April, since not going to the first C C & C of the year would have been unforgivable, but unfortunately haven't been able to attand one since………. glad I went yesterday.

This very special new monthly tradition is evolving beautifully and has become a major monthly force-to-be-reckoned-with event in Northern California. It seems to me that if one cares about such matters and is at all observant, one can detect small but significant changes from month to month, i.e. more people than ever before, although sadly, but not unexpectedly, some of the consequences of unrestrained over-enthusiasm and simply not having been brought up well enough to remember at all times that you are a guest (of the Canepa organization) and really need to behave accordingly, has made it necessary to place some restriction on the undisciplined, unwashed rabble who think their dogs and children are entitled to a completely unfettered run of the place, folks who head straight for McLaren P1s, the pearl white 959s and Lamborghinis which they endlessly eternalize on their i-phones on selfie sticks and try to impress girlfriends and family with their knowledge of price and mythical statistics while ignoring the real jewels because they simply don't know or much care, more varied groups from within the total car-hobby, with exceptional examples of traditional American '50s style Hot Rods probably cocnstituting the largest single growth sector. A delightful phenomenon has been a very confident and knowledgable segment of contrarian enthusiasts who swim upstream and delight in things noone else knows or cares about- yesterday a freshly imported Trabant wheezed its way into the lot, and a highly original Citoen Traction-avant-garde was in the back lot awaiting its turn for some mechanical service - and all the rest, i.e,. home-builts, rat-rods, all manner of Porsche…..old and new cars in a multide of states of condition and restoration, exotics, show-cars, rare traseures, and interestingly, people who don't own cars at all, but who just want to see what the buzz is all about.

I'd like to think that the following photo-coverage also reflects a slightly different approach from what I've presented here before and is able to 'stay with the times' as it were. For those who've heretofore only heard of Canepa Design and have not actually visted this must-see destination in person yet, I believe that it's safe to assume that we are all by now well over the initial sheer, impressive scale of the Canepa 'compound' and the quality of the inventory and scope of the work - we've all enjoyed the sight of five 959 in a neat row, all with famous celebrity names on their respective shop-orders being worked on, the occasional F1 or P1 Mclaren in for service, historic 917s in for a nut-and-bolt restoration, jaw-droppingly perfect early 911s being turned out quite routinely, historic racecars with enviable provenance, some even owned by ESReg board members, immaculate low-milage specimens of the latest "big thing" - such as Bruce's personal 1400 mile '76 Turbo, but upon reflecting on my personal coverage of the various Canepa C & Cs, it occurs to me that we haven't really covered individual cars, especially fascinating and interesting cars visitors show up in, in sufficient numbers and detail.

Hopefully, the offering below hopefully begins to address that perceived short-coming by concentrating on specific notable specimens, both driven by visitors and those in for service by the Canepa organization.

Enjoy, and as always, if there are specific questions I will try to answers them.

JZG
    __________________________________________________ __________________

Photo #1: a new thing - poeple were getting there earlier and earlier and filling the lot with their pick-ups and family truckster Toyotas, not leaving room for cars that others travelled a long way to see, hence the restriction that only 'worthwhile' and 'exhibited' cars may opark in the attached.main lot
    Photo #5: Fear not - merely a VW Jetta Diesel engine powered "24 Hours of LeMons" racer remember there's a $500.00 limit to the total value of your entry.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 06-14-2015 at 08:50 PM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

At the first C C & C in April '15, it was the gold Caddy that stunned everyone, and yesterday it was a tremor of at least equal magnitude that turned the heads of those who noticed - so subtle and low-key is the execution, detailing and choice of features, mods and details the owner of this cobalt-blue hot-rod chose. It's not that I preferred the Cadillac, I'm not even saying I liked it…..it was impressive in it's own right, but I submit that this car, which spoke quietly but insistently & much more convincingly to those who appreciate good taste, sublime workmanship and brilliantly imaginative ideas is in a whole different class of design, intent and execution.

I don't know if Steve Moal had any involvement with this project, but if he didn't he needs to watch out !

I am perefectly aware that it's my nature to engage in disproportinate hyperbole at the slightest provocation, but this car really is sensational. - an example of the old figure of spech about the layers of an onion, and how peeling layer after layer away reveals more and more details. A masterpiece, and in my view an eminently qualified prospect for the top award at the highest profile national hot-rod shows.

Unfortunately, I was unable to hook up with the owner and pick his mind, but as near as I / we could tell, the VIN tag tells us it's a '47 Chevrolet body ( obviously highly modified ) with late-model, supercharged and fuel-injected Ford in-inline six-cylinder gasoline motor and auto transmission. The satin exterior with the same color, but normal gloss enamel accents really works.

It's the details that blew erevyone away…….the engineering, the electroless nickel plating on the bright ware, the rear-facing, frame-mounted TV camera just aft of the right front-wheel ( see Photo #4 ) with inside roof-mounted LCG display, since the tiny rear-view mnirror is useless, the plaid interior fabric, the manifold-like exhaust tip arrangement………...all quite remarkable.

If I ever see this car again I will make every reasonable effort to talk to the owner and do a more thorough job of coverage.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 06-14-2015 at 08:54 PM.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

and another set of the same machine.

Another entire set of 5 of a magnificent example of a traditional Hot Rod, in this instance a '34 Chevrolet which has been in the owner'/ builder's family since his grandfather bought it when it was only two or three years old. The owner, a friend and currently active member of the ESReg still has receipts to cover work his grandfather had done to the truck back in '36 and '37 when it was used on the family's berry farm.

A three-and-a-half year project, this jewel features a 350 cu.in. Chevrolet motor, modern suspension and superb metal and paint-work and wonderful details everywhere you look.

Well Done.

A beautifully maintained '66 big block Cobra - you really could feel the ground shake under your feet when the owner started the motor in preparation to his grand exit.

Another couple of sets of 5 each devoted solely to one quite special car - a '73 RS, Ser. # 1367, delivered to a Porsche employee who actually worked on the RS assembly line, This specimen was originally shipped in Light Yellow ( Code 6212 ), but was resprayed by the original owner in Silver once Porsche made it available on all its models that had plastic and fiberglass exterior panels, and who also had the hood-mounted Cibies installed by the factory at the same time, hence the detail photos of the installation for the benefit of those who always inquire re the "correct" mounting of hood-mounted auxiliary lights.

The car was originally shipped with the additional options of lap / shoulder belts ( option # 549 ), as well as the TTG Hella lights (option #434 ) - as shown in the Konradsheim bible.

As several of us were admiring and discussing the car, the car's previous owner during the early part of the first decade of the 21st century, a friend who owned and enjoyed this car as one of several RSs he's owned over the years, mentioned rather wistfully that he sold this car for $75,000………while noting that it's presently for sale again for more than tenfold that number.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 06-14-2015 at 04:28 PM.

…..another 4 photos of the same machine, finishing with a shot of a beautifully maintained '80 commemorative SC in the Editions dsitinctive Champaign color, with a Nardi wheel the owner's had in every 911 he has owned.

Another set, mainly of guest's cars ( and bikes ) in the parking lot.

Another random set of visitor's cars.

Photo #1: When this Cadillac with the quintessiantially '50s colors of light Turquoise & pinkish maroon interior pulled in, it was hard not to think of three-toned Dodges, Edsels and the occasional Packard Carriberan in equally lurid and gaudy shades.

Photo #2: One can only hope that the gent who built the Chevy powered MG had the good sense to reinforce the frame, modify the suspension and add some braking power…….not sure what could possibly be done to address the inevitable inherent imbalance by nearly doubling the weight over the front wheels.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 06-14-2015 at 04:31 PM.

……………moving on into the crowded showroom and the shop area.

The totally original leaf green '70 911T was just acquired, and will be repainted, detailed and completely checked & repaired mechanically prior to moving onto the showroom floor to be offered for sale.