Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Distributor drive gear - Damn!

Distributor drive gear - Damn!

I have just had a full re-build done professionally on my 1968 2.0L motor to standard specifications (however, with LN Eng Cylinders and JE pistons). The motor started and ran well for 10 minutes with good oil pressure and then the brass distributor drive gear disintegrated. Motor was stopped immediately. The case has to now be split and dismantled and new drive gear installed. The drive gear was felt to be fine as did the distributor when first dismantled.

I am wondering how common this is, what causes are known and if steel drive gear is best as a replacement?
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

Had the same thing happen to me about 25 yrs ago except the engine ran for about 50 miles before the brass drive gear let go. It didn't disintegrate but all the teeth on the gear wore out as if the gears were not meshing properly. I purchased the gear from an engine parts supplier not from Porsche. Turns out that the gear was not an OEM part, from an unknown manufacturer, bought a new one from Porsche which never has failed. Was the gear you installed a new part?

No my drive gear was the original one that seemed fine with the same distributor that it had grown to know ...
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:

All I can offer is my condolences. Nothing more frustrating than rebuilding a freshly rebuilt motor- but not much else you can do. I have been there before- just get it done quickly and move on. Sorry.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Porsche still sells them $88, they use to have a VW trademark stamp on them, an assurance of quality, don't know about know. I always install distributor and check backlash before closing the case. Gordon

Yes Chuck, after 5 months of waiting for parts from all over the world and working with a meticulous builder, this is a gutting experience. It also seems a rare experience.

I can see some of the brass/bronze drive gears still available but I had heard that there were steel ones around now?
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:

you could run a crankfire system, I am contemplating this for an engine I have with a worm gear causing erratic dwell.S

Keen to say original if possible. Anyone else have this problem?
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:

My friend had the same thing happen on a HP VW motor (apparently the same gear) but his ran for almost a year before the teeth were gone and the distributor stopped turning. He never did find out what caused it.
    Bob B

God no Merv, sorry to hear.........

It will be ready for your return
    Tony