Thread: Laser 917 Hovercraft/Flame thrower/Death Machine

Banned

Laser 917 Hovercraft/Flame thrower/Death Machine

Seldom do I run across a vehicle that so overwhelms my senses that my brain trips a circuit breaker. I have so many comments that I'm not sure where to start.

I am tempted to buy it just to show up at Cars-n-Coffee and see if I can go the whole morning with a straight face.

Cruising through the parking lot and goosing the Ferrari guys with that "Taser" would make me especially happy. AND I would run that flame thrower out of propane by 8am.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/5075752099.html

Frank, please buy it.
    Although I think the blue is too dominant.
    Perhaps converting it to the "sau" might be the way to go.
    I have a set of scheel 400'S to match the new exterior colour.
    (btw they seem to have been a special order - no recover job)
    IMG_0921.PNG

They nedd to re-make Back to the Future featuring that car.

Frank, you have to buy the car...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

While the Ad is Still Up . . .

'. . . More or less 10 years ago, my brother and I came across a Laser 917 kit car body in very nice condition at an auto swap meet. (Laser 917s were used in the 1977 "Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo" movie.) We couldn't help ourselves. We bought it. The body sat around for about a year. One afternoon, we decided, "What the hell, let's have a go at building something from it." The result, after another couple of years, is the car you see in the pictures above.

We chose, since it's based on a VW chassis, to make it "interesting" rather than slick, fast or trying to mimic exactly the Porsche 917 that it's based upon.

If you like being the center of attention, you'll love this car!

We bought a '64 VW with a 1600cc dual port motor and a 12V electrical system that was in amazingly good condition. This became the mechanical basis for the car.

Then we added the following features:

Flame thrower - We developed a propane-based flame thrower that sticks up from the roof at about 45 degrees. While less spectacular than having flames come out the exhaust pipes, it's also much less dangerous.

Taser hood ornament - We spotted a guy selling "stun guns" at a Tucson swap meet. Impressed by the 2" spark and the ripping sound it made, we bought one and made a hood ornament out of it.

Rear view TV camera - Since the back windshield is small, the TV camera lets us keep on eye what's creeping up behind.

Fender skirts on all the wheels - Since using stock VW wheels and tires puts them considerably inside the fenders, we can turn the front wheels lock to lock without hitting our front skirts. A great look!

Hovercraft look - In addition to the skirts, we hung a fringe of outdoor carpeting totally around the car making it look a bit like a hovercraft. We protect the carpet where it might scrape the road with foam, tubular pipe insulation that can be easily replaced when it becomes too frayed.

It's street legal. We often drive it around it with the doors propped open, sort of a "bird of prey look." Lots of people pass us with their cell phones out the window taking our pictures.

To see a YouTube video of the car in operation, go to YouTube, then search for Batmobile and zha0dan (with a zero) or follow this link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns18C0zFEKs

If you like being the center of attention, you'll love this car! . . .
    '

Car 's in Tucson . . .

. . . and people make fun o' Kalifernyuns!
    Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by StephenAcworth View Post
    Frank, you have to buy the car...
    +1!

S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery