Thread: Mystery engine

Mystery engine

Any ideas as to what year/type this engine is? I'm thinking its maybe a '75 -77 2.7. When did they start mounting the coil on the fan housing?

Name:  sporto targa engine.jpeg
Views: 322
Size:  82.1 KB

I say early E engine...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Kinda interesting - it's supposed to be a '69T. The green shroud tells me something is going on. I guess the coil is correct for '69.

I have a crazy idea that could help solve this mystery. Hire a detective to investigate the numbers on the engine! You're welcome...
    1976 Turbo Carrera

Well, I tried to get them to post a picture - owner marketer seems to be a bit automotively challenged. That picture was what I got when I asked for the engine #, and described its location.

Well, you can only guess at this point. Of course the green shroud would have been found on either a 911E or a midyear 2.7. The only other clues I see are the early style alternator pulley (large holes) and early heat. Either someone dropped in a 2.7 and swapped the parts over from the 2.0T engine or you've got a 2.0-2.4 E engine on carbs. I would guess door number two since it would be more straight forward than converting a CIS engine to carbs (wrong cams and CR). But what do I know...

Or maybe the guy just liked the green shroud and it's still the original engine? You should just buy it and find out when it shows up. That's what I would do. Also, never take advice from me.
    1976 Turbo Carrera

# 2991
    I'm guessing it's a 2.7 converted to carbs.
    From what I can see, the shielded ignition wires and oil pressure sending unit next to the fan are on CIS cars. Also looks like it has been updated to pressure fed/Carrera tensioners.

Thanks, guys = I was thinking similar thoughts. Guess I'll have to dig deeper.

My 68 has the coil on the side console, but my 69 has the coil on the fan housing from factory.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga