Thread: Tire Mounting

Tire Mounting

I am replacing my beloved but aged Bridgestoned SO-3 tires with Dunlop Direzza DZ102 in the same 205/255 for my 6" and 7" 15" Fuchs.

The Dunlops have both red dots and yellow dots on them, and the installer said he did not know what they meant or which meant a light or heavy spot.

He also said it didn't matter since his "Road Force" balancing machine (Hunter GSP-9700) would take care of it. I emphasized that I wanted the least amount of weight used to balance.

I am wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this? It seemed strange that he didn't know what the different colored dots meant (he said each manf. had their own code). Do they need to mount one of the dots at the valve stem or opposite to the valve stem then balance? Or is just relying on the Hunter machine ok?

BTW - I hardly ever drive over 130...

The red dot is the outer most point of not being round and should be matched with a white dot that some wheels have or spin the wheel and find the low spot . The yellow dot marks the light point and should align with the valve stem on cars with pressure monitors .

From this article...

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...rkings-serve-a

If you see both a red as well as a yellow dot on the tire, the red dot takes priority. An easy way to remember this is the phrase ``Red Rules.'' Ignore the yellow dot and match the red dot to the wheel low point dimple as some vehicle manufacturers do or, if no dimple is marked on the wheel, align the red dot with the valve stem.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Great info. Thanks for posting and the informative replys.

Learning something new every day on this forum.
    That's all folks...

All of the dots are mute point in with modern alloy wheels as they are very round and well balanced on their own and don't need any compensation.
    They were designed for steel wheels that had much larger tolerances.
    I first suspected this when my customers that had contracts for (auto) tire truing did so little business that they sold the majority of their truing equipment.
    I have discussed this in length with more than a few tire engineers and manufactures and they all said the same.
    BTW, since they don't use the lugs as attachment points, road force balancers are a waste of money, they are a sales tool...
    H
    Last edited by Harvey Weidman; 06-26-2015 at 08:07 AM.

Thanks. re the lugs - you mean the roadforce machine gives no benefit on hub-centric wheels (??)

It is actually counterproductive on lug centric and serves no purpose on hub centric wheels.
    Just my observations. A over priced machine that is trying to take the logic process out of the job an it fails..
    To be polite
    H