Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice from older porsche gurus

Need advice from older porsche gurus

This popped up and I rushed to make a non refundable down payment to hold it.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-20-000-a.html

I've been doing my diligence for the past week and it seems to be a pretty good deal, but I'm lacking the experience to know for sure.

I hear from the mechanic who has it in his possession that the throttle bodies are currently stuck. I didn't expect this but I think it's not a huge deal.

My reason for purchasing is 1: Preserve Purchasing Price if I need to sell 5 years down the road. 2: To learn to work on older Porsche's myself. I have been bitten by the Porsche bug

Please encourage me or scare me away from this car, either way I would like some outside perspective.

-Derek

wow - sounds like you are working under pressure on this one - I would get this car up on a lift - the obvious I would have someone that has experience with you that could do the PPI and walk you thru it so you have an idea what you are up against - where are you located ?

is it just surface rust or is it more - any indication of shunts - does the engine turn freely and just won't run or is it serious rebuild time

what parts do you need to source to take it back to original - fenders bumpers etc. and some idea of parts cost

body work / repaint / mechanics / interior

it is a 72MY body with a 73MY mfi engine so not numbers matching - any ownership history ?

prices are getting up there so if you can do work yourself might be ok buy but if not could be major $ spent

keep us up to date and Good Luck and Welcome
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Banned
    PP,

"I hear from the mechanic who has it in his possession that the throttle bodies are currently stuck. I didn't expect this but I think it's not a huge deal" is a telling statement. Intoxicated lust will not serve you well right now.

I'm not sure why you would think it's not "a huge deal". It could be the first warning sign of a very huge deal.
    Are you prepared to rebuild the engine, MFI pump, T-bodies, and re-new the fuel supply system?

As a mechanic who does this for a living I'm wondering why you're asking this community rather than having a thorough PPI done by the shop with the car? Or maybe you are?

I think I understand your "preserving purchase price" comment but you may be better off finding a stock car rather than something like this if that's one of your primary goals. Also maybe a carbureted engine; MFI can be terribly spendy to restore.

Thanks for pointing out the engine! How can you tell?

I am in Minneapolis, MN.

Tomorrow I'm driving to inspect the car, it's about 1 hour away. I will take video and pictures.

Any pointers or tools I can use to feel its pulse?

-Derek

Fingers Crossed

Quote Originally Posted by PPPP View Post
    . . . This popped up and I rushed to make a non refundable down payment to hold it . . .

. . . Please encourage me or scare me away from this car, either way I would like some outside perspective . . .
    Hhhhhh

15 pics --- and not a single shot up under the car . . . . or any of things that I 'd look for . . .

Anyway --- a li'l late, maybe, but . . . here's some light reading. I'd pay particular attention to post #32 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...o-You-Look-For

And-uuuuuuuh . . .

. . . how much was your deposit, anyway --- if you don't mind my asking?

And welcome to the Early 911S Registry . . .

. . . and good luck to you

We Can Be Heroes

The mechanic who has it (partner in the sale) has never worked on a MFI Porsche before. I was thinking this maybe would be normal for a car that hasn't been started in years. Let's say all those things need to be done, how much do you think it would effect the value? I would like to know that if I get in over my head I can exit by reselling and recover %80 of my "investment" of 20K.

Frank, Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.
    -D
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    PP,

"I hear from the mechanic who has it in his possession that the throttle bodies are currently stuck. I didn't expect this but I think it's not a huge deal" is a telling statement. Intoxicated lust will not serve you well right now.

I'm not sure why you would think it's not "a huge deal". It could be the first warning sign of a very huge deal.
    Are you prepared to rebuild the engine, MFI pump, T-bodies, and re-new the fuel supply system?

As a mechanic who does this for a living I'm wondering why you're asking this community rather than having a thorough PPI done by the shop with the car? Or maybe you are?

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Hhhhhh

. . . how much was your deposit, anyway --- if you don't mind my asking?

And welcome to the Early 911S Registry . . .

. . . and good luck to you

Thanks LongRanger! I reviewed post 32 and the hyperlink at the top doesn't seem to link to a valid thread. The VIN is 9112100296 and it has the external oil flap.

I put down 1K. The two guys involved seem pretty cool and I don't suspect they are trying to screw me. I'll get a ton of pics tomorrow. The body is supposed to be in great shape.

I think it was a worthwhile risk at the asking price. But you need to find a professional "Porsche wrench" with MFI experience before trying to deal with stuck throttle bodies. I've had MFI cars sitting for longer than yours fire up after chasing the bad gas and oil away. But the thing about buying cars parked for multiple years is that you rarely know why they were parked. A rod knock would be up there on the list of "hope it wasn'ts..."
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Hyper-link

. . . reviewed post 32 and the hyperlink at the top doesn't seem to link to a valid thread . . .

That's cuz the Jo --- er, Original Poster . . . who inspired post #32 had bought a car that apparently had been made from several(-or-so) others, and, well . . . let's just say that it seems he ultimately felt that his particular experience was un-shareable

. . . put down 1K. The two guys involved seem pretty cool and I don't suspect they are trying to screw me . . .
    Uuuh --- that's called salesmanship, Derek. And that's a fair sum, too --- but survivable . . . especially if things go t!ts-up. And ---- as you may guess . . . there will be money spent on the other side of all this. Any thoughts to share about The Budget?

. . . I'll get a ton of pics tomorrow. The body is supposed to be in great shape . . .
    Hhhhh . . . aren't they all?

Look forward to your pics/accounts/ruminations/etc

And --- any/all snarkiness aside . . . good hunting! These kindsa threads are an odd mix of terror + excitement . . .

I appreciate your sharing this. Hope we help

We Can Be Heroes

just my .02…. buyers usually think they have to hurry when it is more often that the seller is hoping for just one "fish on". IMO be ready, willing and able to walk away from the car and your $1,000 if your gut ( and the PPI) say to.
    Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    That's cuz the Jo --- er, Original Poster . . . who inspired post #32 had bought a car that apparently had been made from several(-or-so) others, and, well . . . let's just say that it seems he ultimately felt that his particular experience was un-shareable

Uuuh --- that's called salesmanship, Derek. And that's a fair sum, too --- but survivable . . . especially if things go t!ts-up. And ---- as you may guess . . . there will be money spent on the other side of all this. Any thoughts to share about The Budget?

Hhhhh . . . aren't they all?

Look forward to your pics/accounts/ruminations/etc

And --- any/all snarkiness aside . . . good hunting! These kindsa threads are an odd mix of terror + excitement . . .

I appreciate your sharing this. Hope we help