Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard start - 71 2.2 project with Zenith carbs

Hard start - 71 2.2 project with Zenith carbs

I'm continuing to try to accomplish at least one thing every day on my project. I found the steering wheel/horn parts I needed at EASY in SF, thanks Jim!

Meanwhile I received the female pin I need for my 14 pin connector to the engine harness so that I could connect my Intermediate Unit up to the + side of the coil and generate the proper Tach signal. After wiring it in I went to start the car to check the Tach. No luck. Hmm, it's always started before since the engine was installed in late winter. It cranked well and seemed like it was on the verge of over taking the starter and firing off, but would never go.

I read cold start threads and tried different techniques over the last 3 days and couldn't get it to go. I will note that the weather here in the midwest has finally gotten hot and humid as we normally expect in late June. Finally last night I resorted to some starter fluid and that did the trick. But it was popping and back firing at lower RPM's and if I didn't hold it over 2000 it would die. Once it got a little warm it would restart, but wasn't happy to idle. Popping and back fires says lean to me, but I thought if the air was warmer and more humid that would make it run richer? It ran OK and started pretty easy when the weather was cooler, but I haven't really driven it except around the block.

Another data point is that after we shut it off I heard gurgling and hissing in the carbs. I looked in the carb for cyl 1 and there was fluid in there and it was dripping from the linkage pivot on the outside of the carb (back of car). I'm not sure if it was my buddy over zealous with the starter fluid or what, but I figured it shouldn't be dripping out, so maybe I have an air leak there?

My friend that's about 3 hours away set up and installed the carbs and he said he ran stock 2.2 jetting in it. The motor has E pistons and cams on a T 2.2 block and heads.

I embedded a link to video of the carb. Only the number 1 cyl was doing this. None of the other's had fluid standing in them or looked to be leaking.

http://vid592.photobucket.com/albums...pss2hdpiss.mp4
    1971 911T - 3.0L with PMO's - Light Ivory - Gretchen

Update: went home over lunch and it started up with very little trouble, much like it has all spring. It does seem to be popping and backfiring more than ever. I'll see if I can figure out exactly what jetting it has and post it here.

From the looks of that video and the fact you said it's backfiring...I'd keep a fire extinguisher handy!!!
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

Solid advice, thanks.

....Don't ask me how I know.....
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

Embarrassed to admit it, but we had a little bbq in the engine compartment last night. I couldn't find the fire extinguisher and my BIL's truck was blocking the garage. It could have been ugly. Living on the edge in Missouri! I'm going home and finding that fire extinguisher, thanks for the reminder!

Are you running a stock fuel pump or aftermarket? Or better, have you verified correct fuel pressure? Also, have you verified that the float levels are adjusted correctly? Backfiring out intake is usually lean, provided valves are adjusted correctly and cam timing is to spec. Backfiring out exhaust is usually rich or exhaust leaks can be a culprit.

As much fuel as you have puddling on top of the butterfly, and only one cylinder, I'd start with float adjustment. Two runners share one float bowl while the third gets its own float bowl. Can't remember which ones share though and have no Zeniths to check on hand.

Also need to verify carbs were assembled correctly with all gaskets and o-rings and what not.

911's are not so good to start fires in. If she pops, and you think there may be flames rolling on the carbs, your best bet is to continue cranking. Most of the time one can suck the flame out cranking the engine, don't be pumping the accelerator pumps though. Having someone on standby with an extinguisher helps, Halon is preferred as it won't leave a mess that needs cleaning.

Good luck.
    Ryan Billy, Grasshopper learning from the Grand Master.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
    Embarrassed to admit it, but we had a little bbq in the engine compartment last night. I couldn't find the fire extinguisher and my BIL's truck was blocking the garage. It could have been ugly. Living on the edge in Missouri! I'm going home and finding that fire extinguisher, thanks for the reminder!
    The first 911 I tried to start (a '74) the owner handed me a can of carb cleaner and told me to spray in each carb and then he started cranking and it backfired and woosh! I had to rip the air cleaner off and smother it with a towel. Burned up the air cleaner a bit, but other than that it wasn't too bad. Fun times!
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

Ryan, the fuel puddling seems to be coming from the accelerator pump running too much on that cylinder. The guy that timed the cams and set the valves is involved and doesn't feel like that's the problem. He's got a good set of Webers he's going to loan me to get it running right while we tear into the Zeniths.

Be sure to post a video when you get it running!
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28